Re: south american version of the eu

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2004
      I just finished my International Political Economy class last week.
      It's now almost a consensus in academia that isolationism and
      protestionism will not work, as seen in the sound defeat of Dick
      Gephardt earlier this year. (No disrespect. Dick is a good man.)

      What worries me is that as these trade blocs continue to form, the
      transition from a unipolar to a multipolar system can get chaotic
      and out of control. The US will, again, play a crucial role in this
      post-modern world.

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2004
        You're right, the world could easily get more chaotic as more regions become
        united economically and/or politcally. But I have doubts about how successful
        this South American union will be, as did the writer of that BBC article I think.
        But assuming that somehow they and the African Union become as united
        and integrated as the European Union is today, it would probably be good for
        the standard of living of the South Americans and Africans, though at the
        same time could lead to more confrontation between them and the current big
        powers, like the U.S. and China. And it sounds almost like the world
        described in Orwell's 1984, with Eurasia, Oceania, and whatever the third
        power was called.

        Speaking of Orwell, has anyone read his semi-autobiographical book Down
        And Out In Paris And London? I just finished it, it was very interesting.

        On the other hand, things are already pretty chaotic right now. If there was, for
        example, one African government, that government could probably easily end
        the violence in Darfur.