south american version of the eu

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2004
      i meant to send people this article days ago, i think
      this is a very interesting thing.

      Thursday, 9 December, 2004, 06:12 GMT

      S America launches trading bloc

      Representatives from 12 South American countries have
      signed an agreement to create a political and economic
      bloc modelled on the European Union.

      The new South American Community of Nations was
      launched at a summit in the Peruvian city of Cuzco.

      Peruvian president Alejandro Toledo, said a new
      country was being born, which would one day have a
      common currency, parliament and passport.

      Members of the new community will start by phasing out
      tariffs.

      Leaders also hope it will increase South America's
      clout in international trade talks.

      THE NEW BLOC
      Territory: 17,658,000 sq km
      Population: 361 million
      GDP: $973bn
      Exports: $181bn
      Unemployment: 12% (Can); 12.9% (Mercosur); 8.5%
      (Chile)
      Source: Can (2003)

      Mr Toledo said the new community would also help
      member nations "confront the challenges of
      globalisation so that it is fairer".

      "If in the past, geography divided us, today it unites
      us," Mr Toledo said.

      The move will create a market of 361 million people
      with a GDP of $973bn, exporting $181bn of goods and
      services.

      Stumbling blocs

      But the BBC's Hannah Hennessy in Cuzco says details
      and disputes must be resolved if the bloc is to live
      up to expectations.

      It is born from the convergence of the two main trade
      groups of the region - the Andean Community (Can) and
      Mercosur - as well as Chile, Surinam and Guyana.

      The Can was created 35 years ago, but it still has not
      decided on common tariffs for its members.

      Critics say that if existing blocs have not been able
      to achieve unity, this one stands little chance of
      doing so.

      Poverty is one of the greatest challenges for the new
      bloc

      There have also been criticisms that countries are
      putting their own interests first.

      The presidents of Brazil, Venezuela, Peru, Colombia,
      Bolivia, Chile, Surinam and Guyana attended the
      summit.

      The leaders of Argentina, Ecuador, Uruguay and
      Paraguay did not even bother attending the summit,
      sending envoys in their place.

      Others left before the signing of the declaration.

      In trade terms, there is also scepticism. Some
      analysts note that in many cases the South American
      countries export the same products.

      The region's two biggest powers, Brazil and Argentina,
      are currently locked in trade disputes, while Bolivia
      and Chile have no diplomatic relations at all.

      However former Argentine president Eduardo Duhalde
      brushed aside the sceptics, saying the new group would
      not only responded to a very old integration dream but
      also to modern requirements.

      "Our countries cannot face alone the challenges of the
      new economic and political world order," said Mr
      Duhalde.

      To emphasise this move towards greater integration,
      Peru and Brazil signed a $700m agreement to create a
      road linking the two countries to be finished by the
      end of his term in 2006.
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2004
        I just finished my International Political Economy class last week.
        It's now almost a consensus in academia that isolationism and
        protestionism will not work, as seen in the sound defeat of Dick
        Gephardt earlier this year. (No disrespect. Dick is a good man.)

        What worries me is that as these trade blocs continue to form, the
        transition from a unipolar to a multipolar system can get chaotic
        and out of control. The US will, again, play a crucial role in this
        post-modern world.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2004
          You're right, the world could easily get more chaotic as more regions become
          united economically and/or politcally. But I have doubts about how successful
          this South American union will be, as did the writer of that BBC article I think.
          But assuming that somehow they and the African Union become as united
          and integrated as the European Union is today, it would probably be good for
          the standard of living of the South Americans and Africans, though at the
          same time could lead to more confrontation between them and the current big
          powers, like the U.S. and China. And it sounds almost like the world
          described in Orwell's 1984, with Eurasia, Oceania, and whatever the third
          power was called.

          Speaking of Orwell, has anyone read his semi-autobiographical book Down
          And Out In Paris And London? I just finished it, it was very interesting.

          On the other hand, things are already pretty chaotic right now. If there was, for
          example, one African government, that government could probably easily end
          the violence in Darfur.