Re: Nothing sinister about liberal campuses

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
      At my college it does seem like there are few conservative professors,
      and there are quite a few self-described liberal professors. We do
      have one economics professor who worked in the Reagan White House, Tim
      Roth. I remember hearing that he's the faculty sponsor of the student
      Republican group. I would like to take a class with him, but as I've
      seen from the Introduction to Economics courses I've taken, I'm
      terrible at economics. Or terrible at all the math involved anyway.
      Roth's written a book (which I have no intention of buying or
      reading), "The Ethics and the Economics of Minimalist Government".
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1840646764/qid%3D1034395085/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-9559599-6009632

      Amazon also has a book by two political science professors from my
      school who I know slightly, Irasema Coronado and Kathy Staudt. The
      book is "Frontera No Mas: Toward Social Justice at the U.S.-Mexico
      Border".
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312239394/qid=1084282924/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-9559599-6009632?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
        > seen from the Introduction to Economics courses I've taken, I'm
        > terrible at economics. Or terrible at all the math involved anyway.
        > Roth's written a book (which I have no intention of buying or
        > reading), "The Ethics and the Economics of Minimalist Government".

        Greg,

        Economics is so much fun with or without the math. Forget about what
        that Roth guy wrote, start from reading the great dialogue between
        Keynes and von Hayek instead. Commanding Heights is a great book
        that describes what has been happening in the last century:

        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/068483569X?v=glance

        PBS did a good job introducing the book:
        http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/commandingheights/shared/minitext/tr_show01.h
        tml

        You gotta love the Homo Economicus. =)