Re: Nothing sinister about liberal campuses

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
      Blacklisting conservatives? Vast left-wing conspiracy? =)

      Most likely not, I'd say. I actually think what the professor said
      is true. A conservative authority in academia is in demand, but
      there just aren't that many. I guess it's harder to turn
      conservative after so many years of learning, regardless of the
      discipline.

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
        At my college it does seem like there are few conservative professors,
        and there are quite a few self-described liberal professors. We do
        have one economics professor who worked in the Reagan White House, Tim
        Roth. I remember hearing that he's the faculty sponsor of the student
        Republican group. I would like to take a class with him, but as I've
        seen from the Introduction to Economics courses I've taken, I'm
        terrible at economics. Or terrible at all the math involved anyway.
        Roth's written a book (which I have no intention of buying or
        reading), "The Ethics and the Economics of Minimalist Government".
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1840646764/qid%3D1034395085/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-9559599-6009632

        Amazon also has a book by two political science professors from my
        school who I know slightly, Irasema Coronado and Kathy Staudt. The
        book is "Frontera No Mas: Toward Social Justice at the U.S.-Mexico
        Border".
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312239394/qid=1084282924/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-9559599-6009632?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
          > seen from the Introduction to Economics courses I've taken, I'm
          > terrible at economics. Or terrible at all the math involved anyway.
          > Roth's written a book (which I have no intention of buying or
          > reading), "The Ethics and the Economics of Minimalist Government".

          Greg,

          Economics is so much fun with or without the math. Forget about what
          that Roth guy wrote, start from reading the great dialogue between
          Keynes and von Hayek instead. Commanding Heights is a great book
          that describes what has been happening in the last century:

          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/068483569X?v=glance

          PBS did a good job introducing the book:
          http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/commandingheights/shared/minitext/tr_show01.h
          tml

          You gotta love the Homo Economicus. =)