Re: Nothing sinister about liberal campuses

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
      Hmm. I'm wondering whether colleges have a blacklist of conservatives,
      or if there's simply more liberals than conservatives who are trying
      to get jobs as professors. Though I can certainly imagine a university
      president interviewing possible professors and getting a conservative
      vibe off one candidate and thus not hiring that person (or, if it was
      Bob Jones or somewhere like that, getting a liberal vibe from them).

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
        Blacklisting conservatives? Vast left-wing conspiracy? =)

        Most likely not, I'd say. I actually think what the professor said
        is true. A conservative authority in academia is in demand, but
        there just aren't that many. I guess it's harder to turn
        conservative after so many years of learning, regardless of the
        discipline.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
          At my college it does seem like there are few conservative professors,
          and there are quite a few self-described liberal professors. We do
          have one economics professor who worked in the Reagan White House, Tim
          Roth. I remember hearing that he's the faculty sponsor of the student
          Republican group. I would like to take a class with him, but as I've
          seen from the Introduction to Economics courses I've taken, I'm
          terrible at economics. Or terrible at all the math involved anyway.
          Roth's written a book (which I have no intention of buying or
          reading), "The Ethics and the Economics of Minimalist Government".
          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1840646764/qid%3D1034395085/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-9559599-6009632

          Amazon also has a book by two political science professors from my
          school who I know slightly, Irasema Coronado and Kathy Staudt. The
          book is "Frontera No Mas: Toward Social Justice at the U.S.-Mexico
          Border".
          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312239394/qid=1084282924/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-9559599-6009632?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
            > seen from the Introduction to Economics courses I've taken, I'm
            > terrible at economics. Or terrible at all the math involved anyway.
            > Roth's written a book (which I have no intention of buying or
            > reading), "The Ethics and the Economics of Minimalist Government".

            Greg,

            Economics is so much fun with or without the math. Forget about what
            that Roth guy wrote, start from reading the great dialogue between
            Keynes and von Hayek instead. Commanding Heights is a great book
            that describes what has been happening in the last century:

            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/068483569X?v=glance

            PBS did a good job introducing the book:
            http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/commandingheights/shared/minitext/tr_show01.h
            tml

            You gotta love the Homo Economicus. =)