inaugural speeches quiz

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2004
      http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041127/D86KBM2O0.html
      Inaugural Speeches Quiz

      Nov 27, 12:35 PM (ET)

      By The Associated Press

      Match the lines from inaugural speeches with the
      speaker:

      1. A gathering darkness: "The mystic chords of memory,
      stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to
      every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad
      land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when
      again touched, as surely they will be, by the better
      angels of our nature."

      2. Another century, another angel: "Never tiring,
      never yielding, never finishing, we renew that purpose
      today, to make our country more just and generous, to
      affirm the dignity of our lives and every life. This
      work continues. This story goes on. And an angel still
      rides in the whirlwind and directs this storm."

      3. Speaking too soon: "In the large view, we have
      reached a higher degree of comfort and security than
      ever existed before in the history of the world. ...
      In no nation are the fruits of accomplishment more
      secure."

      4. The windup before the pitch: "In the long history
      of the world, only a few generations have been granted
      the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum
      danger. I do not shrink from this responsibility - I
      welcome it. ... The energy, the faith, the devotion
      which we bring to this endeavor will light our country
      and all who serve it - and the glow from that fire can
      truly light the world."

      5. In a nutshell: "I am again called upon by the voice
      of my country to execute the functions of its Chief
      Magistrate. When the occasion proper for it shall
      arrive, I shall endeavor to express the high sense I
      entertain of this distinguished honor, and of the
      confidence which has been reposed in me by the people
      of united America. Previous to the execution of any
      official act of the President the Constitution
      requires an oath of office. This oath I am now about
      to take, and in your presence: That if it shall be
      found during my administration of the Government I
      have in any instance violated willingly or knowingly
      the injunctions thereof, I may (besides incurring
      constitutional punishment) be subject to the
      upbraidings of all who are now witnesses of the
      present solemn ceremony."

      6. Blizzard of words in a snowstorm: "Fellow-citizens,
      being fully invested with that high office to which
      the partiality of my countrymen has called me, I now
      take an affectionate leave of you."

      7. Government is the solution: "Instinctively we
      recognized a deeper need - the need to find through
      government the instrument of our united purpose to
      solve for the individual the ever-rising problems of a
      complex civilization. Repeated attempts at their
      solution without the aid of government had left us
      baffled and bewildered."

      8: No it's not: "In this present crisis, government is
      not the solution to our problem."

      9. You're both wrong: "Government is not the problem,
      and government is not the solution. We - the American
      people - we are the solution."

      10: To the audience, it must have felt like a life
      sentence: "On this subject it might become me better
      to be silent or to speak with diffidence."

      ---

      a. John Adams

      b. John Kennedy

      c. Ronald Reagan

      d. George Washington

      e. Abraham Lincoln

      f. Herbert Hoover

      g. Bill Clinton

      h. George W. Bush

      i. Franklin Roosevelt

      j. William H. Harrison

      ---

      Answers:

      1. (e): Closing line from Lincoln's 1861 speech,
      delivered with the nation on the brink of civil war.
      The new president appealed to the rising Confederacy
      to settle its grievances peacefully.

      2. (h): Bush, in 2001, was quoting from Virginia
      statesman John Page's letter to Thomas Jefferson after
      the signing of the Declaration of Independence: "We
      know the race is not to the swift nor the battle to
      the strong. Do you not think an angel rides in the
      whirlwind and directs this storm?"

      3. (f): Hoover voiced confidence in the nation's
      economic security in March 1929, with the United
      States heading into the Great Depression. The stock
      market crashed in October.

      4: (b): Kennedy's gestures changed from a clenched
      fist to a wagging finger as he delivered the famous
      next words in his 1961 address: "Ask not what your
      country can do for you, ask what you can do for your
      country."

      5: (d): Washington's second inaugural speech, quoted
      here in full, was the shortest in history.

      6. (j): Harrison spoke for 1 hour and 45 minutes in a
      snowstorm, the longest inauguration speech in history.
      He died a month later of pneumonia, the shortest
      presidency in history.

      7. (i): Four years after he declared "the only thing
      we have to fear is fear itself," Roosevelt delivered a
      second inaugural speech, in 1937, taking stock of
      progress lifting the nation out of depression through
      an unprecedented burst of government activity.

      8. (c): Reagan declared his intention to restrain
      government in his first inaugural, in 1981.

      9. (g): Clinton in his second inaugural address, in
      1997.

      10. (a): Overcoming his impulse to hold back on the
      subject, Adams begins the longest sentence in an
      inaugural speech. The sentence went on for 725 words,
      five times the length of Washington's entire speech
      four years earlier. In it, Adams said he will do his
      best as president.