Re: women's rights petition

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15 7:58 PM
      Apparently it's true that Bush did nominate Dr. Hager, but the
      petition is outdated. More information is at

      Some quotes from it:

      He is also vehemently pro-life and has vigorously played a part in the
      campaign to get the FDA to withdraw its approval of mifepristone
      (RU-486), a drug that terminates pregnancies. He is indeed the author
      of a number of books in which he's advocated prayer and the reading of
      the Scriptures as cures for medical ills.

      Dr. Hager makes no bones about his beliefs but says they won't
      compromise his judgment: "Yes, I'm pro-life. But that's not going to
      keep me from objectively evaluating medication. I believe there are
      some safety concerns (about mifepristone) and they should be evaluated."

      Which is an opinion it now appears the FDA at least somewhat shares.
      On 15 November 2004, the Food and Drug Administration posted a
      statement on its web site about labeling changes it will require for
      RU-486 (Mifepristone, Mifeprex). Citing instances of serious bacterial
      infection, bleeding, ectopic pregnancies that have ruptured, and death
      that have occurred among those who have taken it, the agency will now
      insist the drug carry much more strongly worded cautions that spell
      out these risks. According to the FDA, "The revised labeling will
      provide physicians and patients with important information so that
      they can respond and possibly prevent rare but serious complications
      that may occur with any abortion. FDA will continue to monitor the
      usage of Mifeprex and may take further action."

      Contrary to the claim made in the now widely-circulated e-mail
      decrying his appointment, Dr. Hager says he does not deny
      birth-control prescriptions to unmarried women. However, Time magazine
      reported that "In his private practice, two sources familiar with it
      say, Hager refuses to prescribe contraceptives to unmarried women."

      Dr. Hager maintained that his opposition to FDA approval of RU-486 was
      based purely on safety concerns.

      Whatever one's opinion of Dr. Hager, his appointment is a done deal.
      Dr. Hager is now a member of the FDA's Advisory Committee on
      Reproductive Health Drugs, so a petition aimed at preventing him from
      reaching that position is moot. (Perhaps as a result of the
      controversy stirred up by the original position, Dr. Hager was
      appointed to sit on the committee, but not to chair it.) In June 2004,
      Dr. Hager was reappointed to the committee for an additional year.
      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "tonymaloley" <am7788zz@m...>