Re: women's rights petition

  • tonymaloley
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 14, 2004
      Are these things about possible Bush appointee Dr. Hager really
      real? Could someone verify this from another source?

      Maybe Bush will screw things up so badly that his party will be
      severely damaged. I guess I could see him doing this, against party
      pressure. If he thinks it's the right thing to do he might try it
      even though everyone says not to.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 15, 2004
        Apparently it's true that Bush did nominate Dr. Hager, but the
        petition is outdated. More information is at
        http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/hager.asp

        Some quotes from it:

        He is also vehemently pro-life and has vigorously played a part in the
        campaign to get the FDA to withdraw its approval of mifepristone
        (RU-486), a drug that terminates pregnancies. He is indeed the author
        of a number of books in which he's advocated prayer and the reading of
        the Scriptures as cures for medical ills.

        Dr. Hager makes no bones about his beliefs but says they won't
        compromise his judgment: "Yes, I'm pro-life. But that's not going to
        keep me from objectively evaluating medication. I believe there are
        some safety concerns (about mifepristone) and they should be evaluated."

        Which is an opinion it now appears the FDA at least somewhat shares.
        On 15 November 2004, the Food and Drug Administration posted a
        statement on its web site about labeling changes it will require for
        RU-486 (Mifepristone, Mifeprex). Citing instances of serious bacterial
        infection, bleeding, ectopic pregnancies that have ruptured, and death
        that have occurred among those who have taken it, the agency will now
        insist the drug carry much more strongly worded cautions that spell
        out these risks. According to the FDA, "The revised labeling will
        provide physicians and patients with important information so that
        they can respond and possibly prevent rare but serious complications
        that may occur with any abortion. FDA will continue to monitor the
        usage of Mifeprex and may take further action."

        Contrary to the claim made in the now widely-circulated e-mail
        decrying his appointment, Dr. Hager says he does not deny
        birth-control prescriptions to unmarried women. However, Time magazine
        reported that "In his private practice, two sources familiar with it
        say, Hager refuses to prescribe contraceptives to unmarried women."

        Dr. Hager maintained that his opposition to FDA approval of RU-486 was
        based purely on safety concerns.

        Whatever one's opinion of Dr. Hager, his appointment is a done deal.
        Dr. Hager is now a member of the FDA's Advisory Committee on
        Reproductive Health Drugs, so a petition aimed at preventing him from
        reaching that position is moot. (Perhaps as a result of the
        controversy stirred up by the original position, Dr. Hager was
        appointed to sit on the committee, but not to chair it.) In June 2004,
        Dr. Hager was reappointed to the committee for an additional year.
        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "tonymaloley" <am7788zz@m...>