Howard Dean considering bid to chair Democratic Party

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2004
      http://cbsnewyork.com/local/NYC--Dean-DNC-nyn/resources_news_html
      Howard Dean considering bid to chair Democratic Party
      Monday November 08, 2004

      MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) Former presidential candidate
      Howard Dean is considering a bid to become chairman of
      the national Democratic Party.

      Steve Grossman, himself a former chairman of the
      Democratic National Committee, said Dean had told him
      he was thinking about it.

      Dean was traveling today in New York and unavailable
      for comment. His spokeswoman, Laura Gross, said ``it
      was far too early to be speculating on that.''

      The 240 members of the Democratic National Convention
      will elect a new chair early next year. Several names
      are already being mentioned, including former Clinton
      aide Harold Ickes; Donna Brazile, who ran Al Gore's
      presidential campaign, and Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack.

      Dean has been outspoken since the beginning of his
      presidential bid in saying that the Democratic Party
      must establish a separate and unique identity from
      Republicans.

      The next chairman will replace Terry McAuliffe, whose
      term is ending.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2004
        Dean is definitely a much better choice than Gephardt. I wonder if
        he will have any competition (or opposition) for the job though.