Re: The Birth of a Nation

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
      I don't know about the screening but he praised that movie in many
      occasions. Wilson once had a confrontation with Monroe Trotter and
      DuBois in the Oval Office. Wilson's only message was that you
      suckers should have known I was a racist before you endorsed me.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
        I'm not positive about the screening. So Wilson had been publicly
        racist before he was elected?
        Greg

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
          Before he was elected he was already quite anti-black as the
          President of Princeton. But racism was prevalent in those days and
          no one really made a big deal about it. Monroe Trotter and DuBois
          were just quite disappointed by Taft's indifference in the suffering
          of blacks and wishfully thought an educated Democrat would know
          better.

          Wilson turned out to be the last social conservative served as a
          Democratic President. One generation later, FDR and Truman changed
          the Democratic Party and US politics completely.