Yahoo! News Story - 2004 Elections Feature Unusual Campaigns

  • Yahoo! News
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2004
      greg (gregcannon1@...) has sent you a news article. (Email address has not been verified.)

      Personal message:

      2004 Elections Feature Unusual Campaigns
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041030/ap_on_el_ge/bizarre_ballots

      Yahoo! News - 2004 Elections Feature Unusual Campaigns
      Personalize News Home Page
      Yahoo! News   Sat, Oct 30, 2004
      Search for  Advanced
      News Home
      Top Stories
      U.S. National
      Business
      World
      Entertainment
      Sports
      Technology
      Politics
         White House
      Elections
         Congress
         U.S. Government
         World
         Supreme Court
         Press Releases
      Most Popular
      Science
      Health
      Oddly Enough
      Op/Ed
      Local
      Comics
      News Photos
      Most Popular
      Weather
      Audio/Video
      Full Coverage

      Full Coverage
      More about
      U.S. Elections
      Related News Stories
      2004 Elections Feature Unusual Campaigns AP via Yahoo! News (Oct 30, 2004)
      Floridians Cast Ballots in Early Voting AP via Yahoo! News (Oct 30, 2004)
      Colorado: As the Race Tightens, Enthusiasm for a Ballot Proposal Wanes at The New York Times (reg. req'd) (Oct 30, 2004)
      Opinion & Editorials
      Fractious finales at Rocky Mountain News (Oct 30, 2004)
      G.O.P. to the Poor: Don't Vote at The New York Times (reg. req'd) (Oct 30, 2004)
      Feature Articles
      Preparing to vote? Take note ... at Minneapolis Star Tribune (Oct 30, 2004)
      Voting has its enemies -- lack of time and interest at Detroit Free Press (Oct 30, 2004)
      Related Web Sites
      Federal Election Reform Network
      National Commission on Federal Election Reform Final Report
      Follow the Money

      News Resources
      Providers
      · AP
      · Presidential Elections
      · Congressional Elections
      · State & Local Elections
      News Alerts
      · Ronald Reagan
      · Federal Communications Commission
      Services
      ·News Alerts

      Politics Tools
      Elected Officials
      Enter Your ZIP Code:

      or Search by State

      Register to Vote
      Enter Your ZIP Code to
      Find a Candidate:

      or Search by State
      Issues & Action
      Scroll to select issue area

      Links and services provided by Capitol Advantage

      News via RSS
      Politics News
      Politics
      Elections
      U.S. Congress
      U.S. Military
      United Nations
      George W. Bush
      John Kerry

      All RSS Feeds

      Elections - AP
      AP
      2004 Elections Feature Unusual Campaigns

      2 hours, 1 minute ago
      Add to My Yahoo! Elections - AP

      By TED ANTHONY, AP National Writer

      In democracy's annals, a noble thread of tradition links those ordinary Americans who have stepped forward from daily life to serve their fellow citizens and embody hopes of a brighter future. George Washington. Thomas Jefferson. Abraham Lincoln. Harry S. Truman. Bubba the Love Sponge.

      Photo
      AP Photo

      You heard right. The nasty-boy Florida deejay — a guy who specialized in radio shows that included on-air sex talk by George Jetson and Scooby-Doo — is doing what comes naturally to so many Americans: he's seeking public office.

      There's an election in this country on Tuesday, and in a land where the race for the highest office is the biggest saga of all, an array of oddities — bits of jetsam that wash up on the banks of the American electoral river — are, as usual, providing useful distraction.

      In Indiana, it's now or never for Bruce Borders, an Elvis impersonator who wants a seat in his state's General Assembly — and is trying to get it for the second time. South Carolina voters can abolish those little airline-style bottles of liquor that state law requires anyone who serves drinks to use. In Berkeley, Calif., voters can decide whether police should make prostitution arrests their lowest priority.

      But wait — there's more. With the 2004 elections, you also get:

      _A teenager who arrived in the world during Ronald Reagan (news - web sites)'s second term trying to became agriculture commissioner in West Virginia — and end the political career of an incumbent who's held office twice as long as the challenger has been alive.

      _Democrats in Camden County, N.J., having to troll for their candidates this year. They sent postcards to about 500 citizens saying they'd make great local officeholders. Ninety-seven sent in resumes, and now one — Carmen Rodriguez — is on the ballot for freeholder.

      _A woman born when William Howard Taft was president — and before members of her gender could legally vote — wanting to be a U.S. senator from New Hampshire. She takes pains to make it clear: She isn't your cookies-and-milk, cross-stitch-making parlor grandmother.

      "I am not a nice old lady," says nonagenarian Doris "Granny D" Haddock, an antiwar candidate whose Web site — http://www.grannyd.com — shows her in a bonnet. It also offers this challenge: "If you have had it with politics as usual, there is no stronger statement you can make than to vote for a 94-year-old woman."

      The I-gotta-be-me mentality is nothing new in the American political pantheon, where delegates from Wisconsin wear hats shaped like cheese wedges at national conventions and, in 1952, a siren in pearls and black dress went on TV and sang a torch ballad about the Democratic presidential candidate that rhymed "Adlai" with "I love you madly."

      Bubba the Love Sponge's rhymes have been of a different ilk. The erstwhile Tampa shock jock, whose real name was Todd Clem before he legally changed it to Bubba the Love Sponge Clem, was fired after he was sanctioned by the Federal Communications Commission (news - web sites) for on-air ribaldry.

      Now he's running for sheriff in Pinellas County, a retirement haven, and his candidacy doesn't appear to be a gag: He's criticized the sheriff's office on the air for years and has a plan to raise salaries and promote women and minorities.

      "You certainly know who I am," Bubba/Clem, 38, said after a recent speech. "Now I just have to convince you that I can be the person you may not know."

      Counters his Republican opponent, Chief Deputy Jim Coats: "I don't think he's sheriff material."

      West Virginia's ag-commissioner candidate, Republican Andrew Yost, is barely a year out of high school and facing a 77-year-old political veteran, Democrat Gus Douglass, who's gunning for a record 10th term.

      While the May-December race is competitive, it hasn't exactly gotten ugly. "A fine young man," Douglass pronounced Yost after the two met at a poultry festival.

      Yost seems to realize what he's getting into. "Sometimes I sit back and think, `Wow, this is really serious,'" he says. "But then I think, `I'll apply myself and do the best.'"

      In Indiana, a former small-town mayor named Bruce Borders is running on a conservative values platform. Something else, though, distinguishes him from his opponent, Democrat Alan Chowning, who beat him by 289 votes last time: Borders is an Elvis impersonator. Lately, he's even begun to sound like one.

      "We worked like dogs last time," he said, "and we're working like bigger dogs this time."

      Finally, we go to Tacoma, Wash., for a glimpse at the state auditor race.

      The Republican candidate, Will Baker, a self-proclaimed "vigilante activist" and conspiracy theorist who sells flowers along the roadside for a living, has been arrested 19 times for disrupting city and county council meetings. Seems he doesn't like to stop talking.

      State Republican leaders unwittingly put Baker on the ballot at the last minute, grateful that someone had volunteered to run. He got nearly 400,000 votes in the primary.

      "It was incredibly embarrassing," said Republican activist Richard Pope, who tried to get Baker removed from the ballot.

      In a recent mass e-mail, Baker quoted an unusual source — the theme from "Shaft" — to describe himself: "The cat who won't cop out when there's danger all about."

      And in the end, isn't that really what all American candidates are trying to say?

      Story Tools
      Mail to Friend Email Story
      Message Boards  Post/Read Msgs (3)
      Printer Version  Print Story
      Ratings: Would you recommend this story?
      Not at all 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 Highly

      Next Story:News Outlets Weigh Pre-Election Coverage  (AP)

      More Elections Stories
      · News Outlets Weigh Pre-Election Coverage   (AP)
      · Republicans Set to Retain House Majority   (AP)
      · Colo. Teacher Sorry for Kicking Student   (AP)
      · Ministry Head Pushes Christians to Vote   (AP)
      · Election Road Map of 50 States at a Glance   (AP)

      Copyright � 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.
      Questions or Comments
      Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback