Local Leaders Slam Rep. Chavez For Lesbian Comment

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2010
      http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/23061065/detail.html

      Local Leaders Slam Rep. Chavez For Lesbian Comment
      Updated: 5:38 pm MDT April 5,2010

      EL PASO, Texas -- El Paso Democratic leaders condemned State Rep. Norma Chavez on Monday for attacking her opponent, Naomi Gonzalez, on Gonzalez's alleged sexual orientation.

      Here is their press release:

      In a joint statement issued today, State Representative Marisa Márquez, Mayor John Cook, County Commissioner Veronica Escobar, County Commissioner Anna Perez, City Representative Susie Byrd, City Representative Steve Ortega, City Representative Beto O'Rourke and City Representative Ann Morgan Lilly said: "We find Norma Chávez's efforts to make her opponent's sexual orientation an issue in this campaign unacceptable. El Paso is a community that prides itself on its openness and inclusion. Furthermore, we are a community on the rise, one that is looking for elected leaders who put the community's interests ahead of their own political careers. Unfortunately, Chávez's desperate and unseemly tactics do nothing to move the community forward and only serve to embarrass her, and by extension, the district she currently represents."

      "In El Paso, there is no room for appeals to bigotry. Such appeals demean the political process and do not represent the values of the Democratic Party or the values of our community. Chávez's attack on Naomi Gonzalez is rightly drawing condemnation across Texas and the nation. We wholeheartedly reject Rep. Chávez's politics of bigotry and division."

      Rep. Chavez would not return phone calls from KFOX and instead, sent an email. That email reads, “I regret that in response to one of my opponent’s repeated, negative, personal attacks, I made reference to her sexual orientation. My opponent’s sexual orientation has no bearing on this campaign. This campaign should be about who is going to be the most effective legislator for El Paso in the Texas House."