Cheney will back Hutchison vs. Perry

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2009
      http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6690648.html

      Cheney will back Hutchison vs. Perry
      By R.G. RATCLIFFE Austin Bureau
      Oct. 28, 2009, 7:14PM

      AUSTIN — Former Vice President Dick Cheney, a longtime acquaintance and supporter of U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, will be in Houston on Nov. 17 to formally endorse her in the race for governor against fellow Republican Gov. Rick Perry.

      Hutchison spokeswoman Jennifer Baker said details for the events still are being determined. But she said there will be one public campaign event with Cheney and a closed fundraiser.

      Baker said Cheney knew Hutchison and her husband, Ray, while he lived in Dallas as the chief executive officer of the oil-field service company Halliburton from 1995 to 2000, and when he became George W. Bush's vice presidential running mate.

      “I am so pleased,” Hutchison said Wednesday. “I respect the former vice president so much. We've worked together. He knows my record as a conservative in the Senate.”

      Cheney could not be reached for comment.

      Cheney also was a donor to Hutchison's Senate campaigns in the 1990s. Baker said Cheney as vice president also worked with Hutchison on legislation.

      “He knows her and knows she's a true conservative leader,” Baker said.

      Other connections between Hutchison and Cheney include former presidential adviser Karl Rove and Dallas fundraiser Jim Francis. Both are Kitchen Cabinet advisers to Hutchison's campaign. Francis in 2000 headed the Pioneer fundraising effort that helped put Bush and Cheney into the White House.

      “It's not surprising considering they both worked in Washington for so many years,” Perry spokesman Mark Miner said. “The Washington establishment usually sticks together.”

      rg.ratcliffe@...