Japan's new first lady says rode in a spaceship

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2009

      Japan's new first lady says rode in a spaceship
      Wed Sep 2, 1:18 pm ET

      TOKYO (Reuters) – Japan's next prime minister might be nicknamed "the alien," but it's his wife who claims to have had a close encounter with another world.

      "While my body was asleep, I think my soul rode on a triangular-shaped UFO and went to Venus," Miyuki Hatoyama, the wife of premier-in-waiting Yukio Hatoyama, wrote in a book published last year.

      "It was a very beautiful place and it was really green."

      Yukio Hatoyama is due to be voted in as premier on September 16 following his party's crushing election victory over the long-ruling Liberal Democratic Party Sunday.

      Miyuki, 66, described the extraterrestrial experience, which she said took place some 20 years ago, in a book entitled "Very Strange Things I've Encountered."

      When she awoke, Japan's next first lady wrote, she told her now ex-husband that she had just been to Venus. He advised her that it was probably just a dream.

      "My current husband has a different way of thinking," she wrote. "He would surely say 'Oh, that's great'."

      Yukio Hatoyama, 62, the rich grandson of a former prime minister, was once nicknamed "the alien" for his prominent eyes.

      Miyuki, also known for her culinary skills, spent six years acting in the Takarazuka Revue, an all-female musical theater group. She met the U.S.-educated Yukio while living in America.

      (Reporting by Colin Parott; Editing by Linda Sieg)