Re: Rutherford Hayes and James Garfield

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
      I don't know much about either. I know of course about Hayes' part in
      the 1876 election, and I know he once said the presidents should only
      be allowed one term, which should be six years. And Garfield could
      write Latin in one hand and Greek in the other at the same time, and
      he was killed by a crazy guy. But that's about all I know.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
        They have the humblest beginnings among all 42 Presidents. Hayes
        went to the court and defended an escaped slave before the civil
        war. Garfield as President wanted to send more troops to the South
        to enforce Reconstruction. Both hated the spoils-system and wanted a
        clean government.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
          And I remember from high school history class that Garfield's
          successor, Chestur Arthur, did do some reform of government, which no
          one expected because Arthur was viewed as one of the most corrupt
          politicians in the country.
          greg

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
            Arthur was a nobody and he was seen as the best candidate to fill
            the most useless position of the executive branch. And not
            surprisingly Arthur gladly accepted the offer.

            So basically anything he did beat everyone's expectations. (But to
            be honest, he stood up to the real crooks of his party like Blaine
            and Cookling. That took a lot of guts.)

            Arthur wasn't that corrupt a politician compared to his
            contemporaries, your teacher's teacher probably just bullshitted
            your teacher.