Sen. Martinez to resign by end of the month

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2009
      I've read his resignation letter and, like with Palin, I have no idea why he's resigning.

      http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/sen.-martinez-to-resign-at-end-of-the-month-2009-08-07.html

      Sen. Martinez to resign by end of the month
      By Alexander Bolton

      Sen. Mel Martinez (R-Fla.) is resigning his Senate seat by the end of August, a year and a half before his term expires in January 2011, two Senate GOP sources said Friday morning.

      Florida Gov. Charlie Crist (R), who is running for Martinez’s seat, will appoint a replacement. Crist could appoint himself but GOP strategists say they do not expect that to happen.

      Martinez was rumored earlier this year to be contemplating resignation before the end of his first term but Martinez denied it.

      A spokesman for Martinez did not immediately return a request for comment.

      Crist is expected to appoint a caretaker to hold the seat until next year’s election. The governor raised more than $4.3 million in his first seven weeks as a candidate. He is facing a primary race against former Florida state House Speaker Marco Rubio, who raised only $340,000 in the second quarter of 2009.

      “My initial reaction that this was set up for Crist to appoint himself,” said Jason Roe, a political consultant who served as chief of staff to former Rep. Tom Feeney (R-Fla.). “But there’s a high potential of backlash if that is the case.

      “If I were Charlie Crist right now and trying to decide how to react to this, I would put in a placeholder senator and continue to campaign to be elected legitimately.”

      Other Republicans expressed similar sentiments.

      On the Democratic side, Rep. Kendrick Meek (D-Fla.) is running to replace Martinez. He faces a potential challenge from Rep. Corrine Brown (D-Fla.), who has formed an exploratory committee.

      Read a copy of Martinez's resignation letter here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2009/08/martinezs-resignation-letter.html