Stimulus funds to repair Texas Governor's Mansion

    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2009
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090521/ap_on_re_us/us_governor_s_mansion_texas;_ylt=AmzEtvbxul7BvwdjeoCBR4is0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTM1am9qam45BGFzc2V0Ay9hcC8yMDA5MDUyMS9hcF9vbl9yZV91cy91c19nb3Zlcm5vcl9zX21hbnNpb25fdGV4YXMEcG9zAzgEc2VjA3luX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDc3RpbXVsdXNmdW5k

      Stimulus funds to repair Texas Governor's Mansion
      Jay Root, Associated Press Writer – Thu May 21, 6:25 pm ET

      AUSTIN, Texas – While Gov. Rick Perry is criticizing Washington bailouts, state lawmakers are planning to use $11 million in federal stimulus money to help rebuild the badly burned Texas Governor's Mansion.

      Approximately $10 million in state tax money will also be spent on a renovation, which is expected to cost about $20 million, officials said Thursday. A House-Senate committee agreed on the expenditures late Wednesday night.

      The mansion was burned in an arson fire last summer.

      Perry has railed against federal bailouts and what he called the free-spending, power-hungry ways of Washington. In January, he said Texas was endangered by Uncle Sam's "audacity."

      Perry spokeswoman Allison Castle released a short, written statement late Thursday when asked about using stimulus money to renovate the mansion.

      "We are continuing to work with lawmakers on the budget," she said.

      The $11 million for renovations would come out of the $700 million rescue package for Texas, lawmakers said.

      "If we're going to fix it up we're going to have to use stimulus money," said state Sen. Steve Ogden, R-Bryan. "We've made a decision to use the stimulus money. This is a good use of it."

      The governor has been living in a three-story, limestone home with a heated pool, an outdoor cabana and a guest house.

      The state is paying some $9,900-a-month in rent while the Governor's Mansion undergoes renovations, records show.