Cornyn divines Hutchison's resignation

    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2009
      http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0509/22552.html

      Cornyn divines Hutchison's resignation
      By JOSH KRAUSHAAR | 5/15/09 4:16 AM EDT

      National Republican Senatorial Committee Chairman John Cornyn speculated that Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas) will resign her seat sometime this fall to focus on her gubernatorial campaign.

      Cornyn told the Houston Chronicle he believes Hutchison is calibrating the timing of a resignation to help Republicans hold onto her seat. If she resigns in the fall (or anytime before the end of the year), Gov. Rick Perry, a Republican, would appoint a replacement — with a special election slated for May 2010. If she resigns before September, there would be a November election.

      One source close to Hutchison says the senator wants to trigger a special election in May to give the GOP candidate more time if she does choose to resign.

      “I’m just guessing. I don’t have any inside information,” Cornyn told the paper. “There’s only one person who knows, and that’s not me.”

      Cornyn also told the paper that he’s wary of Houston Mayor Bill White, who already has banked more than $2.1 million in his campaign account in anticipation of Hutchison’s resignation.