iran endorses bush!

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2004
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1334189,00.html

      President wins endorsement from admirers in the 'axis
      of evil'

      AP in Tehran
      Saturday October 23, 2004
      The Guardian

      He has accused the country of being part of the axis
      of evil, a harbourer of al-Qaida terrorists and a
      nuclear menace threatening global stability.

      So President George Bush may view with suspicion a
      ringing election endorsement from one of America's
      current enemies. Iran has thrown its weight behind the
      Bush campaign, saying it is unimpressed with John
      Kerry.

      "We haven't seen anything good from the Democrats,"
      said Hasan Rowhani, head of Iran's Supreme National
      Security Council, on state television. "We do not
      desire to see Democrats take over ... We should not
      forget that most sanctions and economic pressures were
      imposed on Iran during the time of [former Democratic
      president Bill] Clinton. And we should not forget that
      during Bush's era - despite his hardline and baseless
      rhetoric against Iran - he didn't take, in practical
      terms, any dangerous action against Iran."

      Iran's declaration, however, is unlikely to be used on
      the stump by Mr Bush, despite the closeness of the
      race.

      "It's not an endorsement we'll be accepting any time
      soon," said a Bush spokesman, Scott Stanzel, who
      suggested that Tehran should concentrate on pledging
      to "stop its pursuit of nuclear weapons".

      With the adage that "with friends like these, who
      needs enemies" probably springing to mind, Mr Kerry's
      spokeswoman, Allison Dobson, said: "It is telling that
      this president has received the endorsement of a
      member of the 'axis of evil'."

      Washington severed diplomatic ties with Iran after
      militants stormed the US embassy in Tehran in 1979 and
      held 52 Americans hostage for 444 days. America
      supported Iraq in the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war, and
      relations plummeted again when Mr Bush accused Iran of
      being part of an "axis of evil" with North Korea and
      pre-war Iraq.

      Since then, US forces have accused the Iranians of
      fomenting violence in Iraq.

      However, Mr Rowhani did not seem to think that Iran
      would be targeted next. "At least Republicans have
      come to the conclusion in our region that militarism
      and invasion has not only failed to bring any results
      but, on the contrary, it is threatening their
      interests."

      � Mr Bush gained another foreign endorsement yesterday
      when Silvio Berlusconi, Italy's prime minister, said
      he "hoped and believed" the US president would win.
      But his prophecy may not be that reassuring. Mr
      Berlusconi confidently predicted victory for Spain's
      Jos� Maria Aznar in March, only for the incumbent to
      lose.