Robertson, Bush Disagree on Messages from God

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2004
      Robertson warned Bush of Iraq toll

      President's response: 'We're not going to have any'

      Tuesday, October 19, 2004 Posted: 10:20 PM EDT(0220 GMT)

      NEW YORK (CNN) -- The founder of the U.S. Christian Coalition said
      Tuesday he told President George W. Bush before the invasion of Iraq
      that he should prepare Americans for the likelihood of casualties,
      but the president told him, "We're not going to have any casualties."

      Pat Robertson, an ardent Bush supporter, said he had that
      conversation with the president in Nashville, Tennessee, before the
      March 2003 invasion. He described Bush in the meeting as "the most
      self-assured man I've ever met in my life."

      "You remember Mark Twain said, 'He looks like a contented Christian
      with four aces.' I mean he was just sitting there like, 'I'm on top
      of the world,' " Robertson said on the CNN show, "Paula Zahn Now."

      "And I warned him about this war. I had deep misgivings about this
      war, deep misgivings. And I was trying to say, 'Mr. President, you
      had better prepare the American people for casualties.' "

      Robertson said the president then told him, "Oh, no, we're not going
      to have any casualties."

      Robertson, the televangelist who sought the Republican presidential
      nomination in 1988, said he wishes Bush would admit to mistakes made.

      "I mean, the Lord told me it was going to be A, a disaster, and B,
      messy," Robertson said. "I warned him about casualties."

      More at:

      http://www.cnn.com/aol/story/2004/10/19/cnn_ALLPOLITICS_robertson.bush
      .iraq.html

      or http://tinyurl.com/69q63