Six Bush relatives for Kerry

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20 3:24 PM
      "Bush Relatives for Kerry" grew out of a series of
      conversations that took place between a group of
      people that have two things in common: they are all
      related to George Walker Bush, and they are all voting
      for John Kerry. As the election approaches, we feel it
      is our responsibility to speak out about why we are
      voting for John Kerry, and to do our small part to
      help America heal from the sickness it has suffered
      since George Bush was appointed President in 2000. We
      invite you to read our stories, and please, don't vote
      for our cousin!

      (For more information on how we are related to the
      President, click on the "About Us!" link below.)

      Sisters Tracy Cannon (left) and Hilary House at the
      March for Women's Lives in Washington, D.C. in April
      2004. Also known as "Red Sox Fans for Kerry," these
      sisters are voting for Kerry because he's the right
      person for the job. The fact that he's a Red Sox fan
      doesn't hurt!
      Tracy (S. Chatham, MA): "I am voting for John Kerry
      this year as much out of need as desire. I have
      always liked him as a politician as well as a human
      being and I have never doubted his ability to run this
      country. I feel we need him now more than ever. The
      very thing that our president, my cousin, criticizes
      him for is exactly what makes him a natural leader,
      the ability to see when an error has been made and to
      be willing to do whatever it takes to fix it. The
      difference is, whatever needs fixing (the war in
      Iraq, joblessness, health insurance, social security,
      etc, etc) will be approached with a level head and the
      ability to see all sides of a problem. John Kerry
      will keep an open mind and remember that although we
      live in a great and powerful country, this world is
      filled with countries, all of whom deserve a voice.
      The overwhelming arrogance and knee jerk mentality
      that has consumed our government as of late will lead
      only to further mayhem and more rash decisions. It
      must stop.

      I am blessed to have been born into a happy,
      middle-class, well-educated family. My parents made
      sure, however, that we never took any of that for
      granted and taught us to feel for those that have less
      than we. I truly believe that empathy is the greatest
      difference between these two candidates. George W.
      Bush is a man of limited vision and seemingly little
      compassion. I have always known that John Kerry has
      the greater good of not only our country, but the
      world as a whole in mind. It makes me sad that I
      cannot with good conscience vote for a member of my
      family. I am not someone who takes this lightly.
      However today, the lives of so many people hang in the
      balance that my role as an American is far more
      important than that of a cousin."

      Hilary (Seattle, WA): "I'm voting for John Kerry
      because he'll make a better President. He'll fight for
      families, for children and for women. He'll help
      America restore its shattered reputation in the world,
      and he'll move the world to a more peaceful place.
      George W. Bush's grandfather and my grandmother were
      brother and sister. As much as I'd like to vote for a
      relative running for President, I just can't. His
      economic policies have destroyed lives, and his
      military policies continue to result in death on a
      daily basis. Enough is enough! After September 11th,
      Americans understandably became scared. But are we so
      scared that we've stopped caring about health care,
      the elderly, children, education and jobs? That
      doesn't sound like America to me! John Kerry will lead
      us in the right direction. He'll combat terrorism
      while at the same time moving America towards a more
      just, productive and respectable place in the world.
      John Kerry is better for business, he's better for
      families, and he's better for America. "
      Henry Kimsey-House (Dillon Beach, California):

      "I am voting for Kerry because I am terrified of the
      police state that is being created by George and his
      cronies. I am also voting for Kerry because he is
      complex and sees the paradox of things, that we are
      living in a complex and paradoxical world. George
      prefers to see everything in black or white, good or
      evil and this old paradigm world view will ventually
      doom us and perhaps the entire human species to
      extinction. Finally I think that empire building
      around a national or capitalist center is extremely
      dangerous and will naturally foment many wars and
      revolutions. I am not sure Kerry's view is Global
      enough but it certainly is much more Global than
      George's is. Living in the world we now live in where
      everything happens and moves so fast, it is naive and
      dangerous to cling to just one point of view or one
      national interest, as it invites others to do the same
      and thus many wars will happen. There must be a more
      inclusive and Global view that is held by our
      leadership and George and crew has no clue how to do
      that because they are stuck in their old paradigm,
      empire building, dinosaur age and doomed to
      extinction. Kerry is at least pointed in the right
      direction. Thats my 2 cents worth."
      Chris House (Olympia, WA): I'm a father of two, and a
      teacher in Washington state. Being a son of George
      Herbert Walker Bush's first cousin, I've been witness
      to a family that bred itself for leadership. Bushes
      have made their political mark on a local, national
      and global level, with mixed success.

      The thing that troubles me most with this current
      president is a heightened sense of entitlement.
      Throughout the 2000 election process, George W. Bush
      seemed to view his ascendancy as something of a given,
      something he didn't feel he had to work for along the
      way, like many others before him. The reigning symptom
      of this attitude is this: there is a stubborn refusal
      to look at a given situation in other, possibly more
      constructive ways. 'I was made for this position - so
      I've got to be right.' The mantra of 'You're either
      with us or against us' was certainly, as our president
      might say, decisive. However, what I sensed during
      these four years, for the first time in my life as an
      American, was the idea was that it wasn't O.K. for
      this country's citizens to debate the big issues
      facing us today. To be in doubt about something can
      feel troublesome. I know this firsthand as a teacher;
      and doubt can lead to unnecessary deliberations in
      some cases of politics. But it is a natural instinct,
      just as much as clarity and decisiveness are. These
      feelings made me see the concept of democracy up
      close; it was no longer buried in a history lecture.

      I'm voting for Kerry because I feel that he will
      protect the nation by protecting the idea of
      democracy. I think he can do this job better than our
      current president.

      Jeanny House (Wisconsin): I'm voting for John Kerry
      because I'm a Christian. I know that my second cousin,
      George Bush, claims that he is the anointed leader of
      the American people and that God told him to run for
      office. I believe he may even believe that. I don't.

      My Christian faith leads me to a concern for the poor
      and the marginalized, yet Bush's actions in office
      have repeatedly cut funding for health care, aid to
      failing schools, jobs programs, after school programs,
      Head Start, and many more services that provide real
      help and hope to those living in poverty. Under the
      Bush administration, over a million additional people
      have dropped below the poverty line. 1.2 million more
      have gone into "deep poverty," which is one-half the
      $18,810 for a family of four that defines "poverty."

      My Christian faith leads me to a concern for the
      health and welfare of all of God's people, yet 45
      million people in this country have no health
      insurance. The Bush administration, working hard to
      protect the interests of large, rich insurance
      companies, has done nothing to address the real health
      care crisis.

      My Christian faith tells me the peacemakers are the
      blessed ones, yet George Bush wants to resurrect the
      Crusades, one of the most shameful experiences in
      Christian history. I fail to understand how lying to
      the people of the United States about any of the many
      justifications they have used for going to war in Iraq
      can be considered in any way, shape, or form a
      remotely Christian activity. Yes, Jesus once said, "I
      come not to bring peace, but a sword." He was talking
      about liberating his OWN people from within, not
      invading an oil-rich country out of purely selfish
      motives, then claiming it was for the liberation of
      others. The only true liberation comes when the
      oppressed claim it for themselves. This is something
      George Bush and his Imperialist cabal will never

      My Christian faith moves toward greater inclusiveness
      and acceptance, George Bush moves toward punishment,
      division, and exclusion. My Christian faith seeks to
      bring people into the circle of decision-making,
      George Bush seeks to keep them out. My Christian faith
      seeks to afford equal rights and responsibilities to
      all, George Bush seeks to reserve more rights for the
      privileged few.

      My Christian faith is not looking for a new Messiah
      named George Bush.

      I am, however, looking for a leader. I believe that
      leader's name is John Kerry.
      Sheila House (Harwich, MA): I am voting for John Kerry
      because I believe that 4 more years of the Bush
      administration would be incredibly detrimental to this
      great country of ours. Mr. Bush and his cronies have
      stressed the danger and chaos in a world gripped by
      terror and have ignored the logical step of building
      an international coalition to fight terrorism as a
      united front. I believe Mr. Kerry to be a thoughtful
      man, one who has experienced danger, lived with fear,
      and can respond in a rational, non-hysterical manner.
      Most important of all, he and his wife are dedicated
      to environmental issues. It only makes sense that
      there will be no place for war or peace, if we
      continue to spoil the air and earth of our planet. We
      must remember who we�re leaving the place to.

      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.
      -Groucho Marx