Rutherford Hayes and James Garfield

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5 8:01 PM
      Both were great men and pretty radical. Am I the only one who like
      them?

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6 11:04 AM
        I don't know much about either. I know of course about Hayes' part in
        the 1876 election, and I know he once said the presidents should only
        be allowed one term, which should be six years. And Garfield could
        write Latin in one hand and Greek in the other at the same time, and
        he was killed by a crazy guy. But that's about all I know.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6 4:25 PM
          They have the humblest beginnings among all 42 Presidents. Hayes
          went to the court and defended an escaped slave before the civil
          war. Garfield as President wanted to send more troops to the South
          to enforce Reconstruction. Both hated the spoils-system and wanted a
          clean government.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6 5:49 PM
            And I remember from high school history class that Garfield's
            successor, Chestur Arthur, did do some reform of government, which no
            one expected because Arthur was viewed as one of the most corrupt
            politicians in the country.
            greg

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6 7:07 PM
              Arthur was a nobody and he was seen as the best candidate to fill
              the most useless position of the executive branch. And not
              surprisingly Arthur gladly accepted the offer.

              So basically anything he did beat everyone's expectations. (But to
              be honest, he stood up to the real crooks of his party like Blaine
              and Cookling. That took a lot of guts.)

              Arthur wasn't that corrupt a politician compared to his
              contemporaries, your teacher's teacher probably just bullshitted
              your teacher.