The Birth of a Nation

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2004
      Racist Woodrow Wilson loved the movie. Has anyone seen it before?

      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0004972/

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
        I saw it in a film class. It certainly was very racist. Didn't Wilson
        even have a screening of it at the White House?

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
          I don't know about the screening but he praised that movie in many
          occasions. Wilson once had a confrontation with Monroe Trotter and
          DuBois in the Oval Office. Wilson's only message was that you
          suckers should have known I was a racist before you endorsed me.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
            I'm not positive about the screening. So Wilson had been publicly
            racist before he was elected?
            Greg

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
              Before he was elected he was already quite anti-black as the
              President of Princeton. But racism was prevalent in those days and
              no one really made a big deal about it. Monroe Trotter and DuBois
              were just quite disappointed by Taft's indifference in the suffering
              of blacks and wishfully thought an educated Democrat would know
              better.

              Wilson turned out to be the last social conservative served as a
              Democratic President. One generation later, FDR and Truman changed
              the Democratic Party and US politics completely.