Do you recall your grade school classroom?

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2004
      Since I am sending this to people of varying ages there will be a
      variety of memories. Regardless of classroom size, wether we had
      hot water radiators or central heating, some things were the same
      everywhere. We all learned the same multiplication tables and we
      were taught the central hallmark of our democracy was the right and
      responsibility to vote. DO NOT STOP READING HERE. I will not argue
      how to vote. I just implore each of your to read the following
      short paragraphs and and then try to say as you look in the
      mirror "my vote doesn't matter." If you feel it does matter, then
      send this to others in your address book and lets have an electoral
      turnout John Adams would be proud of!

      One morning in 1844, a grain miller from DeKalb County, Indiana, was
      walking toward his mill. It was Election Day, but he had work to do
      and did not intend to vote. Before he reached the mill, however, he
      was stopped by friends who persuaded him to go to the polls. As it
      happened, the candidate for whom he voted won a seat in the state
      legislature-by a margin of one vote.

      Now, when the Indiana Legislature convened, the man elected from
      DeKalb cast the deciding vote that sent Edward Allen Hennegan to the
      United States Senate. Then, in the Senate, when the question of
      statehood for Texas came up, there was a tie vote. But who do you
      suppose was presiding as president pro tempore? Hennegan. He cast
      the deciding vote from the chair. So, Texas was admitted to the
      union because a miller in DeKalb County, Indiana, went 10 minutes
      out of his way to cast...one vote.

      More? Thomas Jefferson was elected president by one vote in the
      Electoral College. So was John Quincy Adams. One vote gave
      statehood to California, Idaho, Oregon, Texas and Washington. The
      Draft Act of World War II passed the House by one vote.

      Edmund Burke said it another way: "All that is necessary for the
      forces of evil to win in this world is for enough good men to do
      nothing."
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 19, 2004
        > the deciding vote from the chair. So, Texas was admitted to the
        > union because a miller in DeKalb County, Indiana, went 10 minutes
        > out of his way to cast...one vote.

        If Texas was not admitted to the union, we would not have LBJ and
        GWB. I don't know whether that's a good thing or not. But Greg would
        probably not be posting here either. So that's bad.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 19, 2004
          Hmm. If Texas weren't in the union it's very likely I wouldn't have
          been born. But GWB was, I'm pretty sure, born in Conneticut. So he
          might still have existed even if Texas weren't in the union. He
          would've had quite a different life though.
          Greg