Panetta on torture

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2009
      http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0109/Panetta_on_torture.html?showall

      January 05, 2009
      Panetta on torture

      The new CIA chief is against it, he wrote last year in Washington Monthly:

      Those who support torture may believe that we can abuse captives in certain select circumstances and still be true to our values. But that is a false compromise. We either believe in the dignity of the individual, the rule of law, and the prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment, or we don't. There is no middle ground.

      We cannot and we must not use torture under any circumstances. We are better than that.

      Panetta's appointment, and the choice of Dawn Johnsen to lead OLC, seem to mark a more forceful, dramatic break with Bush's interrogation policy than anything else to date.

      By Ben Smith 04:14 PM