Hutchison announces plans to run for governor

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2008
      http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/1208/Hutchison_announces_shes_running_for_governor.html

      December 04, 2008

      Hutchison announces plans to run for governor

      Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas) has set up an exploratory committee to run for governor of Texas — the first official step as she prepares to run against Gov. Rick Perry (R-Texas) in the 2010 GOP primary.

      Hutchison announced she is transferring $1 million from her Senate campaign committee to begin funding the gubernatorial campaign. At the end of September, she reported $8.7 million in her account.

      "Today, I am filing an exploratory committee so I can begin the process of organizing a campaign for Governor of Texas," Hutchison said in a statement. "I am not yet a candidate, but Texas law requires this first, important step before an announcement can be made."

      "Texans deserve a Governor who, in the context of sound budgetary policies and low taxes, works for quality schools and universities, access to health care for our families, communities safe from crime and drugs, protection of private property rights, safe transportation and a government that listens and responds to them," she added.

      Hutchison said she will remain in the Senate during this exploratory phase, but has not signaled whether she will do so once an official candidate. She would be able to serve in the Senate while running; her term doesn't expire until 2012.

      If she resigned, Perry would name a temporary replacement for her.

      Hutchison was considered a possible running mate for John McCain during the presidential race. She has long eyed the governorship, and has never been close with Perry.

      By Josh Kraushaar 12:04 PM