draft bill's author's explanation

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2004
      "We're tired of the Republicans telling us to
      tighten up our belts, when they've left us standing in
      our underwear!"
      ~ Reverend Al Sharpton

      Politics of the Draft

      On Tuesday the Republican House leadership made a
      cynical decision to
      bring
      my
      national service legislation (H.R. 163) up for a vote
      with no notice,
      no
      hearings, and no consideration.

      This is legislation that I introduced at the beginning
      of last year
      that
      would
      instate a draft -- requiring all young people to
      perform some sort of
      national
      service and subjecting them all equally to the
      possibility of military
      service.

      I felt that too much would be asked of our so-called
      "volunteer" army
      made
      up
      primarily of young men and women from inner cities and
      small towns who
      join
      the
      service for economic and educational opportunities not
      available to
      them in
      their disadvantaged communities. I also opposed the
      war and felt that
      if the
      wealthy and privileged were faced with the possibility
      of having to
      send
      their
      own children to war, the political support for this
      elective war would
      disappear.

      I always knew the issue of a draft would be
      controversial and it should
      be.
      But
      what the Republican Leadership did was to bring up the
      bill on "the
      Suspension
      Calendar" -- normally reserved for ordinary,
      non-controversial bills
      such as
      the
      naming of local post office branches.

      They did not bring the bill up because they supported
      it or even
      because
      they
      opposed it. (Most of them never read it even though
      it's only 12
      pages.)

      The reason they brought up the bill was to make a
      cynical political
      statement a
      month before the election. They thought they could
      address the public's
      suspicion that a draft will be necessary if Bush and
      the Republicans
      are
      re-elected if they held this surprise vote a month
      before the election.

      Not only was this an abuse of the House of
      Representatives, but it also
      won't
      work.

      The rumors of a draft are not due to my bill. They are
      due to the Bush
      Administration's failed Iraq policy. It is now clear
      that they did not
      have
      plan when they went into Iraq. This week we learned
      that former US
      Administrator
      in Iraq Paul Bremer has even declared that the lack of
      enough troops on
      the
      ground created "an atmosphere of lawlessness" that has
      made it
      difficult to
      stabilize Iraq. Recently, the Commander of the Iraq
      forces, General
      John
      Abizaid
      said that more troops are needed to secure Iraq's
      scheduled January
      elections.
      And The New York Times (Sept. 27) reported the Army is
      preparing to
      keep
      troops
      at the current levels in Iraq through 2007. All this
      when we all know
      that
      the
      National Guard and Reserve members have been recycled
      over and over and
      back
      door draft is forcing people to re-enlist.

      Where are we going to get all of these troops? I don't
      know. And
      neither do
      millions of Americans. So, they are rightly worried
      about a draft.

      They deserve more than just an empty gesture. So do
      our troops, who are
      still on
      the ground, and left with the message that we couldn't
      take the time to
      discuss
      their situation and what should be done to relieve
      them. That's why I
      voted
      against this cynical ploy and told my fellow Democrats
      that this was
      not a
      serious vote.

      I truly believe that if we continue Bush's failed
      policies in Iraq, a
      military
      draft will be unavoidable. Certainly, the idea that
      sacrifices should
      be
      shared
      in time of crisis is an issue that we must address.
      The Republicans
      want to
      sweep the sacrifices of the war in Iraq under the rug
      for their own
      political
      gain. We cannot let them get away with it.

      Please pass this message on to your concerned friends
      and encourage
      them to
      visit http://www.charlierangel.org and click on the
      "Learn More"
      section
      near the poll
      for more information.

      Sincerely,

      Charles B. Rangel
      Member of Congress
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2004
        Does anyone know who are the two Congressmen who voted for the bill?
        They did something quite heroic, IMHO.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 10, 2004
          I was interested in that too, but I couldn't find it in any article
          about the vote. I know even Rangel, the bill's author, voted against
          it. It might tell on vote-smart.org or one of those sites.