    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
      I'll check out that show online. By the way, Caro wrote an op-ed just

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...>
      > Did anyone see the Charlie Rose show last night with Robert Caro,
      Joseph Califano, and Doris Kearns Goodwin? I found it a fascinating
      discussion on one of our more complex presidents. Despite the war, I'm
      an LBJ fan, and they alluded to the fact that he resigned in an effort
      to end it, feeling that he could not do that and seek re-election.
      > Tom
      > Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@...> wrote:
      > Palin "bridge to nowhere" line angers many Alaskans
      > By Yereth Rosen Mon Sep 1, 1:50 AM ET
      > ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) - It garnered big applause in her first
      speech as Republican John McCain's vice presidential pick, but Alaska
      Gov. Sarah Palin's assertion that she rejected Congressional funds for
      the so-called "bridge to nowhere" has upset many Alaskans.
      > During her first speech after being named as McCain's surprise pick
      as a running mate, Palin said she had told Congress "'thanks but no
      thanks' on that bridge to nowhere."
      > In the city Ketchikan, the planned site of the so-called "Bridge to
      Nowhere," political leaders of both parties said the claim was false
      and a betrayal of their community, because she had supported the
      bridge and the earmark for it secured by Alaska's Congressional
      delegation during her run for governor.
      > The bridge, a span from the city to Gravina Island, home to only a
      few dozen people, secured a $223 million earmark in 2005. The pricey
      designation raised a furor and critics, including McCain, used the
      bridge as an example of wasteful federal spending on politicians' pet
      > When she was running for governor in 2006, Palin said she was
      insulted by the term "bridge to nowhere," according to Ketchikan Mayor
      Bob Weinstein, a Democrat, and Mike Elerding, a Republican who was
      Palin's campaign coordinator in the southeast Alaska city.
      > "People are learning that she pandered to us by saying, I'm for
      this' ... and then when she found it was politically advantageous for
      her nationally, abruptly she starts using the very term that she said
      was insulting," Weinstein said.
      > Palin's spokeswoman in Alaska was not immediately available to comment.
      > National fury over the bridge caused Congress to remove the earmark
      designation, but Alaska was still granted an equivalent amount of
      transportation money to be used at its own discretion.
      > Last year, Palin announced she was stopping state work on the
      controversial project, earning her admirers from earmark critics and
      budget hawks from around the nation. The move also thrust her into the
      spotlight as a reform-minded newcomer.
      > The state, however, never gave back any of the money that was
      originally earmarked for the Gravina Island bridge, said Weinstein and
      > In fact, the Palin administration has spent "tens of millions of
      dollars" in federal funds to start building a road on Gravina Island
      that is supposed to link up to the yet-to-be-built bridge, Weinstein said.
      > "She said 'thanks but no thanks,' but they kept the money," said
      Elerding about her applause line.
      > Former state House Speaker Gail Phillips, a Republican who
      represented the Kenai Peninsula city of Homer, is also critical about
      Palin's reversal on the bridge issue.
      > "You don't tell a group of Alaskans you support something and then
      go to someplace else and say you oppose it," said Phillips, who
      supported Palin's opponent, Democrat Tony Knowles, in the 2006
      gubernatorial race.
      > A press release issued by the governor on September 21, 2007 said
      she decided to cancel state work on the project because of rising cost
      > "It's clear that Congress has little interest in spending any more
      money on a bridge between Ketchikan and Gravina Island," Palin said in
      the news release. "Much of the public's attitude toward Alaska bridges
      is based on inaccurate portrayals of the projects here."