yesterday in 1932

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2004
      from groups.yahoo.com/group/History1Day

      October 3, 1932 With the admission of Iraq into the
      League of Nations, Britain terminates its mandate over
      the Arab nation, making Iraq independent after 100
      years of direct foreign rule (17 years of British),
      and centuries of nominal rule by
      various imperial powers. Britain seized Iraq from
      Ottoman Turkey during WW1 and was granted a mandate by
      the League of Nations to govern the nation in 1920.
      A Hashemite monarchy was organized under British
      protection in 1921, and on 3 October 1932, the kingdom
      of Iraq is granted independence. The Iraqi government
      maintains close economic and military ties with
      Britain,
      leading to several anti-British revolts. A pro-Axis
      revolt in 1941 will lead to a British military
      intervention, and the Iraqi government will agreed
      under duress to support the Allied war effort. In
      1958, the monarchy will be overthrown, and
      for the next two decades Iraq is ruled by a series of
      military and civilian governments.
      In 1979, General Saddam Hussein becomes the Iraqi
      dictator. In 2003 the US will invade Iraq and
      eventualy capture Hussain. (Bradley)
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2004
        > dictator. In 2003 the US will invade Iraq and
        > eventualy capture Hussain. (Bradley)

        Well, Britain "kinda" helped. Wonder if they would let go Iraq had
        they known about the oil.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2004
          Rhat history1day group has lots of interesting information, but
          sometimes they do overlook details like that.

          From what I understand, Britain was losing its grip on its empire ever
          since the end of the first world war. But if they'd known more about
          Iraqi oil it's very possible they would've tried harder to hold on to
          it. It would've been a different country if they had.