Clinton backs Obama, ends White House bid

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2008
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080607/pl_nm/usa_politics_dc;_ylt=Atkrgy5NGXeOSY1CPTbJ.Gas0NUE

      Clinton backs Obama, ends White House bid

      By Ellen Wulfhorst and John Whitesides 15 minutes ago

      WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Hillary Clinton endorsed Barack
      Obama as the Democratic presidential candidate on
      Saturday, ending her own historic White House bid less
      than a week after he secured enough support to win the
      nomination.

      Clinton's endorsement of Obama in a Washington speech
      was the first step in efforts to reunite the
      Democratic Party after a divisive five-month
      nominating battle.

      "Today, as I suspend my campaign, I congratulate him,"
      Clinton told about 2,000 cheering supporters at the
      National Building Museum in Washington. Her husband,
      former President Bill Clinton, and her daughter,
      Chelsea, stood to the side of the stage.

      "I endorse him and I throw my full support behind
      him," she said of Obama.

      Clinton, a New York senator and former first lady who
      was once considered a heavy favorite to become the
      first female U.S. president, had resisted calls to
      pull out of the race for months as Obama built an
      unassailable lead.

      Obama will be crowned the Democratic nominee at the
      party's August nominating convention and will face
      Republican Sen. John McCain in November's election to
      choose a successor to President George W. Bush.

      The Illinois senator will be the first black
      presidential nominee of a major U.S. political party.

      Obama did not appear at the rally, giving Clinton the
      spotlight for the day. Clinton won more than 17
      million votes during the Democratic nominating battle,
      and Obama has tried to build bridges to her camp ahead
      of the November campaign.

      The possibility she will be Obama's running mate has
      sparked endless speculation in political circles. She
      says she is open to the idea, a prospect that excites
      many supporters, but is viewed with skepticism in
      Obama's camp.

      Some of her supporters have tried to pressure Obama
      into picking her, but her campaign issued a statement
      on Thursday saying she is not seeking the vice
      presidential slot.

      Obama has named a three-member team to head his vice
      presidential search and has sworn off further
      discussion of the choice.

      Clinton entered the race in January 2007 as the clear
      front-runner and was viewed as the almost certain
      winner for most of the year, but stumbled to a
      third-place finish behind Obama in the first contest
      in January in Iowa.

      She bounced back five days later to win in New
      Hampshire, but never recovered from Obama's string of
      10 consecutive victories in February.

      (Editing by Stacey Joyce)

      (To read more about the U.S. political campaign, visit
      Reuters "Tales from the Trail: 2008" online at http://blogs.reuters.com/trail08/)