CNN's Yellin: Network execs killed critical White House stories

    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2008
      http://www.politico.com/blogs/michaelcalderone/0508/CNNs_Yellin_Network_execs_killed_critical_White_House_stories_.html

      May 29, 2008

      CNN's Yellin: Network execs killed critical White
      House stories

      On Wednesday night, CNN's Jessica Yellin talked to
      Anderson Cooper about Scott McClellan's tell-all
      memoir and agreed with the former press secretary that
      White House reporters "dropped the ball" during the
      run-up to war.

      But Yellin went much further, revealing that news
      executives--presumably at ABC News, where she'd worked
      from July 2003 to August 2007--actively pushed her
      not do hard-hitting pieces on the Bush administration.

      "The press corps was under enormous pressure from
      corporate executives, frankly, to make sure that this
      was a war presented in way that was consistent with
      the patriotic fever in the nation and the president's
      high approval ratings," Yellin said.

      "And my own experience at the White House was that the
      higher the president's approval ratings, the more
      pressure I had from news executives--and I was not at
      this network at the time--but the more pressure I had
      from news executives to put on positive stories about
      the president, I think over time...."

      But then a shocked Cooper jumped in, asking, "You had
      pressure from news executives to put on positive
      stories about the president?"

      "Not in that exact.... They wouldn't say it in that
      way, but they would edit my pieces," Yellin said.
      "They would push me in different directions. They
      would turn down stories that were more critical, and
      try to put on pieces that were more positive. Yes,
      that was my experience."

      By Michael Calderone 06:00 AM