McGovern, former Clinton backer, endorses Obama

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7 10:29 AM
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/07/AR2008050701425.html?hpid=topnews

      McGovern, former Clinton backer, endorses Obama

      By DENNIS GALE
      The Associated Press
      Wednesday, May 7, 2008; 12:01 PM

      SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- Former Sen. George McGovern, an
      early supporter of Hillary Rodham Clinton, urged her
      to drop out of the Democratic presidential race and
      endorsed her rival, Barack Obama.

      After watching the returns from the North Carolina and
      Indiana primaries Tuesday night, McGovern said
      Wednesday it's virtually impossible for Clinton to win
      the nomination. The 1972 Democratic presidential
      nominee said he had a call in to former President
      Clinton to tell him of the decision, adding that he
      remains close friends with the Clintons.

      "I will hold them in affection and admiration all of
      my days," he said of the Clintons.

      McGovern's announcement comes a day before Clinton was
      scheduled to travel to South Dakota to campaign. The
      state holds its primary June 3 with 15 pledged
      delegates at stake.

      McGovern said he had no regrets about endorsing
      Hillary Clinton months ago, even before the Iowa
      caucuses.

      "She has run a valiant campaign. And she will remain
      an influential voice in the American future," he said.

      But Obama has won the nomination "by any practical
      test" and is very close to a majority of the pledged
      delegates, said McGovern, who is 85. Obama moved
      within 200 delegates of clinching the nomination with
      his split decision on Tuesday of a win in North
      Carolina and a narrow loss in Indiana.

      It's time to unite the Democratic Party, he said.

      "Hillary, of course, will make the decision as to if
      and when she ends her campaign. But I hope that she
      reaches that decision soon so that we can concentrate
      on a unified party capable of winning the White House
      next November," he said.

      McGovern is not a superdelegate, one of the prominent
      Democrats who has a vote at the national convention.