Kurdish rebels threaten suicide attacks against US

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2008
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080505/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_kurdish_rebels;_ylt=Ajb5pTS7p6gXdsw7sI0lt4Ss0NUE

      Kurdish rebels threaten suicide attacks against US
      By YAHYA BARZANJI, Associated Press Writer
      46 minutes ago

      QANDIL MOUNTAINS, Iraq - Kurdish rebels could launch
      suicide attacks against American interests to punish
      the U.S. for sharing intelligence with Turkey after
      Turkey bombed rebel bases, a spokeswoman for a wing of
      a rebel group warned.

      Turkey's military said more than 150 Kurdish rebels
      were killed in Friday's air strikes against bases of
      the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK, on Mount Qandil
      on the border of Iran and Iraq. Peritan Derseem, a
      senior official of the rebel group's Iranian wing,
      PEJAK, claimed that only six people were killed in
      latest Turkish strikes.

      The PKK fights for autonomy in Turkey's southeast and
      also has a wing fighting for Kurdish rights in Iran.

      Derseem blamed the United States for helping Turkey in
      an interview late Sunday.

      She said some rebels want to join suicide squads to
      avenge the deaths of their comrades but that
      "combatants are under the control of the
      organization," which she said is against such attacks.
      That may change, Derseem hinted.

      "We have changed our stand toward the United States
      government and we are standing against them now," she
      said. "Maybe some day ... individual combatants might
      launch suicide attacks inside Iraq and Turkey, and
      even against American interests."

      Kurdish rebels have staged several suicide attacks
      against Turkish targets in the past in Turkey.

      The United States has labeled the rebel group a
      terrorist organization and supports Turkey's fight
      against the group. The conflict has killed nearly
      40,000 since it began in 1984.

      Derseem claimed that her group was acting
      independently from the main branch of the PKK.

      "We have common goals with the PKK and the two parties
      follow the principles of Chairman Abdullah Ocalan,"
      who is imprisoned on a prison island near Istanbul,
      Turkey. "But we have our own decision making."

      The Turkish military has launched several air assaults
      on Kurdish rebel targets in northern Iraq in recent
      months. In February, it staged a ground offensive that
      lasted eight days. Since then, clashes between rebels
      and Turkish troops have erupted along Turkey's border
      with Iraq.

      Until the most recent air raid, the military had not
      announced an operation that penetrated into Iraq as
      far as Mount Qandil.

      "They want to annihilate us. But we will not
      surrender," said Derseem. "We have been hiding in
      caves and nearby mountains."

      The rebels said the Turkish jets fired more than 50
      missiles at the site and demolished some buildings,
      including a meeting hall, a library and a media
      center.

      Iranian artillery units have also been shelling Mount
      Qandil in recent weeks, Derseem said. Craters said to
      be left by Iranian shelling were visible on a mountain
      path leading to the rebel camp.