McAuliffe Said Michigan Shouldn't Count

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2008
      http://politicalwire.com/archives/2008/04/25/mcauliffe_said_michigan_shouldnt_count.html

      McAuliffe Said Michigan Shouldn't Count
      What A Party!: My Life Among Democrats: Presidents,
      Candidates, Donors, Activists, Alligators and Other
      Wild Animals Terry McAuliffe, Sen. Hillary Clinton's
      finance chairman, is one of the biggest proponents for
      counting Michigan's primary results even though the
      state violated Democratic Party rules by moving up its
      contest. However, Mark Nicholas finds an amazing
      passage in McAuliffe's own memoir, What A Party!, that
      shows he took a very different position as DNC
      Chairman four years ago.

      "I'm going outside the primary window," [Michigan Sen.
      Carl Levin] told me definitively.

      "If I allow you to do that, the whole system
      collapses," I said. "We will have chaos. I let you
      make your case to the DNC, and we voted unanimously
      and you lost."

      He kept insisting that they were going to move up
      Michigan on their own, even though if they did that,
      they would lose half their delegates. By that point
      Carl and I were leaning toward each other over a table
      in the middle of the room, shouting and dropping the
      occasional expletive.

      "You won't deny us seats at the convention," he said.

      "Carl, take it to the bank," I said. "They will not
      get a credential. The closest they'll get to Boston
      will be watching it on television. I will not let you
      break this entire nominating process for one state.
      The rules are the rules. If you want to call my bluff,
      Carl, you go ahead and do it."

      We glared at each other some more, but there was
      nothing much left to say. I was holding all the cards
      and Levin knew it.

      April 25, 2008