Clinton scorns the base

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19 7:18 AM
      http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0408/Clinton_scorns_the_base.html

      April 18, 2008

      Clinton scorns the base

      In a weird mirror image of last Friday's "cling"
      revelation -- though perhaps without the same general
      election implications -- this Friday afternoon brings
      a Huffington Post tape reportedly from a closed-door
      Hillary fundraiser in which Clinton scorns her
      opponent's supporters -- the liberal activists who
      make up a pillar of the Democratic party:

      "MoveOn.org endorsed [Obama] -- which is like a
      gusher of money that never seems to slow down,"
      Clinton said to a meeting of donors. "We have been
      less successful in caucuses because it brings out the
      activist base of the Democratic Party. MoveOn didn't
      even want us to go into Afghanistan. I mean, that's
      what we're dealing with. And you know they turn out in
      great numbers. And they are very driven by their view
      of our positions, and it's primarily national security
      and foreign policy that drives them. I don't agree
      with them. They know I don't agree with them. So they
      flood into these caucuses and dominate them and really
      intimidate people who actually show up to support me."

      Huffington Post says the comments -- of which it
      provides tape, and which the campaign doesn't dispute
      -- came from a small, closed-door fundraiser after
      Super Tuesday but before March 5; slightly oddly, it
      doesn't say where or when.

      But there's some irony in the scorn for MoveOn, whom
      Hillary courted and which was founded, after all, to
      save her husband from impeachment. What's striking
      here is the the "us" and "them" view -- the almost
      cultural scorn -- toward a section of the Democratic
      Party to whom, at times in the White House, Hillary
      was seen as the ambassador for the more conservative
      Bill.

      Also, though some people associated with MoveOn
      opposed the Afghan war, the group says it didn't.

      By Ben Smith 07:10 PM