Pennsylvania crowd jeers Clinton attacks on Obama

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2008
      http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/04/14/pennsylvania-crowd-jeers-clinton-attacks-on-obama/

      April 14, 2008
      Pennsylvania crowd jeers Clinton attacks on Obama

      PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – On Monday, with the
      Pennsylvania primary just days away, Hillary Clinton
      continued to hammer Barack Obama over his comments
      that small town Americans "cling to guns or religion"
      because they are "bitter."

      But the audience at a forum put on by the Alliance for
      American Manufacturing didn't appreciate her line of
      attack.

      "I understand my opponent came this morning and spent
      a lot of his time attacking me," she said at the
      beginning of her remarks here.

      Many in the crowd responded with audible groans, and a
      few shouted, "No!"

      Obama spoke to the same forum earlier in the morning
      and ribbed Clinton for doing a shot of whiskey in
      front of TV cameras on Saturday in Indiana.

      Clinton continued, "I know that many of you, like me,
      were disappointed by the recent remarks he made."

      This time, a louder, sustained chorus of "No!"
      emanated from the audience. Clinton soldiered on.

      "I am well aware that at a fundraiser in San Francisco
      he said some things that many people in Pennsylvania
      and beyond Pennsylvania have found offensive," she
      said.

      This time, a smaller smattering of jeers.

      It was only when Clinton concluded her opening remarks
      by attacking President Bush that she received a warm
      round of applause.

      The Clinton campaign later said the disgruntled
      reaction to her remarks came from Obama supporters in
      attendance.

      Several audience members told CNN after the speech
      they came to the forum to hear each candidate talk
      about trade issues, and were not interested in the
      political back-and-forth of the Democratic primary
      race.

      When Clinton focused on policy and expounded on
      enforcing trade agreements, creating new jobs and
      standing up to China, she received some hearty
      ovations.

      But despite Pittsburgh's working class reputation, it
      was at times a tough crowd for the New York senator.

      As the question and answer session began, one man
      asked Clinton for assurances that American workers
      would not be "tricked" like they had been when her
      husband signed NAFTA in 1993.

      A press release distributed to reporters by the
      Alliance for American Manufacturing calculated that
      Pennsylvania lost 44,173 jobs due to NAFTA between
      1993 and 2004.

      Clinton, who spent much of her speech attacking
      America's trade imbalance with China, responded by
      drawing a line in the sand between her policy
      positions and her husband's trade record.

      "As smart as my husband is, he does make mistakes,"
      Clinton quipped.

      From: CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby