Aide: Hutchison planning to run for governor

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2008
      http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_8770217

      Aide: Hutchison planning to run for governor
      By SUZANNE GAMBOA Associated Press Writer
      Article Launched: 04/01/2008 10:37:25 AM MDT

      WASHINGTON—Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison may be moving a
      step closer to running for Texas governor.
      The Corpus Christi Caller Times reported that
      Hutchison spokesman Matt Mackowiak said last week that
      she was planning to run for governor in 2010.
      Hutchison has earlier said she was "considering" a run
      for governor.

      Mackowiak declined comment Monday when asked by The
      Associated Press about the remark.

      She is serving her third term, which ends in 2012, and
      has said it will be her last.

      Bryan Eppstein, a consultant to Hutchison, said the
      senator has said nothing new about her future. He
      referred to a statement she made Friday saying she
      would not make a formal announcement on her intentions
      until after this November's elections.

      "The statements that carry the most weight are the
      statements from the senator herself," Eppstein said.
      "No one in Texas assumes she's not running. Everyone
      assumes she's running. There's a kind of a groundswell
      to recruit Kay Bailey to run," Eppstein said.

      Republican consultant Bill Miller agreed.

      "It basically qualifies as the worst kept secret in
      Texas," Miller said. "She's going to be a candidate.
      She's the most popular elected official in the state
      and she's a formidable foe for anybody. It's clear to
      me and to others she's running."

      Texas Gov. Rick Perry is eligible to run for another
      term.

      Hutchison considered taking on Perry in 2006, but
      decided against what would then be a divisive primary
      battle.

      But if she runs in 2010, "there's not anyone who could
      really make a case to me that this would be divisive
      for the Republican Party in a way that would make me
      step back," Hutchison has said.

      Asked about Perry's possible run for a fourth term
      last week, Hutchison said, "Whatever. I'm just going
      to do what I'm going to do," according to the Fort
      Worth Star-Telegram.

      Hutchison's name has also been tossed about as a
      possible running mate to Republican presidential
      nominee John McCain. Hutchison has said she's not
      seeking the job, but wouldn't turn it down if asked to
      join the ticket.

      McCain recently suggested she'd be better suited as
      the state's governor. The Dallas Morning News reported
      that while McCain was flying from Houston to Austin,
      he greeted Hutchison with "Governor, good to see you."
      The newspaper said she responded with: "I like the
      sound of that," and a smile.

      ———

      On the Net: Corpus Christi Caller Times: http://www.caller.com/