Gravel to Run for Libertarian Nod

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2008
      http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/gravel-to-run-for-libertarian-nod/

      March 26, 2008, 9:28 am
      Gravel to Run for Libertarian Nod

      By Sarah Wheaton

      Fed up with being excluded from the debates and
      otherwise marginalized, former Senator Mike Gravel of
      Alaska announced today that he will seek the
      Libertarian Party nomination for president.

      That’s right, we said Mike Gravel, who had been
      running as a Democrat – not Representative Ron Paul,
      who has run on the Libertarian ticket in the past, but
      recently submitted his name to appear on the ballot in
      the remaining Republican primary contests.

      Skyler McKinley, a Gravel spokesman, said that Mr.
      Gravel would try to pursue the Libertarian nomination
      at the party’s convention, which will be held in
      Denver on May 22-26.

      “Whether or not some of our delegates will accept Mike
      Gravel with some of his positions, that has yet to be
      seen,” said Andrew Davis, a spokesman for the
      Libertarian National Committee, adding that Mr.
      Gravel’s advocacy of universal health care, paid for
      with a national retail sales tax, could turn off some
      Libertarians. Also, there are already about 15
      candidates vying for the nomination.

      From Mr. Gravel’s e-mail message to supporters this
      morning:

      The fact is, the Democratic Party today is no
      longer the party of FDR. It is a party that continues
      to sustain war, the military-industrial complex and
      imperialism — all of which I find anathema to my
      views.

      By and large, I have been repeatedly marginalized
      in both national debates and in media exposure by the
      Democratic leadership, which works in tandem with the
      corporate interests that control what we read and hear
      in the media.

      I look forward to advancing my presidential
      candidacy within the Libertarian Party, which is
      considerably closer to my values, my foreign policy
      views and my domestic views.