Nobel winner: Hillary Clinton's 'silly' Irish peace claims

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2008
      http://hnn.us/roundup/41.html#48137

      Nobel winner: Hillary Clinton's 'silly' Irish peace
      claims

      Source: Telegraph (UK) (8-3-08)

      Hillary Clinton had no direct role in bringing peace
      to Northern Ireland and is a "wee bit silly" for
      exaggerating the part she played, according to Lord
      Trimble of Lisnagarvey, the Nobel Peace Prize winner
      and former First Minister of the province.

      "I don’t know there was much she did apart from
      accompanying Bill [Clinton] going around," he said.
      Her recent statements about being deeply involved were
      merely "the sort of thing people put in their
      canvassing leaflets" during elections. "She visited
      when things were happening, saw what was going on, she
      can certainly say it was part of her experience. I
      don’t want to rain on the thing for her but being a
      cheerleader for something is slightly different from
      being a principal player."

      Mrs Clinton has made Northern Ireland key to her
      claims of having extensive foreign policy experience,
      which helped her defeat Barack Obama in Ohio and Texas
      on Tuesday after she presented herself as being ready
      to tackle foreign policy crises at 3am.

      "I helped to bring peace to Northern Ireland," she
      told CNN on Wednesday. But negotiators from the
      parties that helped broker the Good Friday Agreement
      in 1998 told The Daily Telegraph that her role was
      peripheral and that she played no part in the
      gruelling political talks over the years.

      Posted on Saturday, March 8, 2008 at 11:12 PM