Sinbad Unloads on Hillary Clinton

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12 6:15 AM
      http://blog.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2008/03/sinbad_unloads_on_hillary_clin.html

      Sinbad Unloads on Hillary Clinton

      Finally, the Barack Obama campaign has found a big gun
      to help shoot down Hillary Rodham Clinton's
      self-proclaimed foreign policy experience. And he may
      be the wackiest gun of all: Sinbad, the actor, who has
      come out from under a rock to defend Obama in the war
      over foreign policy credentials.

      Sinbad, along with singer Sheryl Crow, was on that
      1996 trip to Bosnia that Clinton has described as a
      harrowing international experience that makes her
      tested and ready to answer a 3 a.m. phone call at the
      White House on day one, a claim for which she's taking
      much grief on the campaign trail.

      Harrowing? Not that Sinbad recalls. He just remembers
      it being a USO tour to buck up the troops amid a much
      worse situation than he had imagined between the
      Bosnians and Serbs.

      In an interview with the Sleuth Monday, he said the
      "scariest" part of the trip was wondering where he'd
      eat next. "I think the only 'red-phone' moment was:
      'Do we eat here or at the next place.'"

      Clinton, during a late December campaign appearance in
      Iowa, described a hair-raising corkscrew landing in
      war-torn Bosnia, a trip she took with her then-teenage
      daughter, Chelsea. "They said there might be sniper
      fire," Clinton said.

      Threat of bullets? Sinbad doesn't remember that,
      either.

      "I never felt that I was in a dangerous position. I
      never felt being in a sense of peril, or 'Oh, God, I
      hope I'm going to be OK when I get out of this
      helicopter or when I get out of his tank.'"

      In her Iowa stump speech, Clinton also said, "We used
      to say in the White House that if a place is too
      dangerous, too small or too poor, send the First
      Lady."

      Say what? As Sinbad put it: "What kind of president
      would say, 'Hey, man, I can't go 'cause I might get
      shot so I'm going to send my wife...oh, and take a
      guitar player and a comedian with you.'"

      As you may have guessed by now, Sinbad isn't
      supporting Clinton for president. He's an Obama guy.
      All because of Clinton.

      "What got me about Hillary was her attitude of
      entitlement, like he messed up her plan, like he had
      no reason to be there," Sinbad said. "I got angry. I
      actually got angry! I said, 'I will be for Obama like
      never before.'"

      But he's less ticked off with the Clinton campaign
      than he is with Saturday Night Live for its
      Hillary-loving sketches that portray Obama as an
      unqualified nervous Nelly. What really bothers him is
      SNL's choice of actor (Fred Armisen) to play Obama.

      "My problem is -- you couldn't just temporarily hire a
      black man to play Obama? You had to put a white man in
      a black face? You couldn't find a light-skinned
      brother to play Obama?"

      The Clinton campaign doesn't seem amused by Sinbad's
      commentary or his recollection of the 1996 Bosnia trip
      as more depressing than harrowing.

      Defending Clinton's characterization of her Bosnia
      mission, campaign spokesman Phil Singer kindly
      provided experts from news stories written about the
      trip at the time, including a Washington Post story
      from May 26, 1996, that said, "This trip to Bosnia
      marks the first time since Roosevelt that a first lady
      has voyaged to a potential combat zone."

      Singer also cited a Kansas City Star article from
      September 2000 that quoted Sinbad as describing the
      situation in Bosnia as "so tense. It was Crips and
      Bloods." (And that's how Sinbad continued to
      characterize the situation in our interview Monday. He
      said, "At the time, we didn't realize how crazy it was
      between the Bosnians and the Serbs. I didn't realize
      how much hate was going on.")

      Still, defending Clinton against Sinbad the refuter,
      Singer said, "The sad reality of what was going on in
      Bosnia at the time Senator Clinton traveled there as
      first lady has been well documented. It appears that
      Sinbad's experience in Bosnia goes back further than
      Senator Obama's does. In fact, has Senator Obama ever
      been to Bosnia?"

      Snarky, snarky!

      By Mary Ann Akers | March 11, 2008; 1:14 PM ET