Obama Wins Wyo. Caucus

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2008
      http://www.kfoxtv.com/politics/15534206/detail.html?treets=elp&tml=elp_natlbreak&ts=T&tmi=elp_natlbreak_1_05150303082008

      AP: Obama Wins Wyo. Caucus
      12 Delegates At Stake In Contest

      POSTED: 5:14 am MST March 8, 2008
      UPDATED: 4:05 pm MST March 8, 2008

      Sen. Barack Obama won the Wyoming Democratic
      presidential caucus, easily overcoming rival Sen.
      Hillary Clinton in a packed turnout, according to
      projections by The Associated Press.

      Obama led 58 percent, or 4,138 votes, to Clinton's 41
      percent, or 2,876 votes, with 21 of 23 counties
      reporting.

      Obama generally has outperformed Clinton in caucuses,
      which reward organization and voter passion more than
      do primaries. The Illinois senator has won 12 caucuses
      to Clinton's three.

      But Clinton threw some effort into Wyoming, perhaps
      hoping for an upset that would yield few delegates but
      considerable buzz and momentum. The New York senator
      campaigned Friday in Cheyenne and Casper. Former
      President Clinton and their daughter, Chelsea, also
      campaigned this week in the sprawling and lightly
      populated state.

      Obama campaigned in Casper and Laramie on Friday, but
      spent part of his time dealing with the fallout from
      an aide's harsh words about Clinton and suggestions
      that Obama wouldn't move as quickly to withdraw U.S.
      forces from Iraq if elected. In Casper, Obama said
      Clinton had no standing to challenge his position on
      the war because she had voted to authorize it in 2002.

      Clinton, buoyed by big wins in Ohio and Texas last
      Tuesday, said she faced an uphill fight in Wyoming.
      Her campaign also holds out little hope for Tuesday's
      primary in Mississippi, which has a large black
      population.

      Both candidates were looking ahead to the bigger prize
      -- delegate-rich Pennsylvania on April 22.

      In Wyoming, 12 national convention delegates were at
      stake. During the first caucuses of the day, it
      appeared the state's Democrats were showing up in
      record numbers. In 2004, a mere 675 people statewide
      took part in the caucuses.

      In Sweetwater County, more than 500 people crowded
      into a high school auditorium and another 500 were
      lined up to get inside.

      "I'm worried about where we're going to put them all.
      But I guess everybody's got the same problem," said
      Joyce Corcoran, a local party official. "So far we're
      OK. But man, they keep coming."

      Party officials were struggling with how to handle the
      overflow crowds. The start of the Converse County
      caucus was delayed due to long lines.

      In Cheyenne, scores of late arrivers were turned away
      when party officials stopped allowing people to get in
      line at 11 a.m. EST. A party worker stood at the end
      of the line with a sign reading, "End of the line.
      Caucus rules require the voter registration process to
      be closed at this time."

      State party spokesman Bill Luckett said they were
      obligated to follow its rules as well as those of the
      Democratic National Committee regarding caucus
      procedures.

      "Everybody knew the registration began over an hour
      before the caucus was called to order. We've done
      everything we could to accommodate people in the long
      lines," Luckett said.

      Later, state party officials said they would accept
      provisional ballots from about 20 people who remained
      at the caucus site and would seek approval from both
      campaigns to count their votes.

      In Casper, home of the state party's headquarters,
      hundreds were lined up at the site of the Natrona
      County caucus. The location was a hotel meeting room
      with a capacity of 500. Some 7,700 registered
      Democrats live in the county.

      "We'll have to put 'em in the grass after a while,"
      said Bob Warburton, a local party official.

      About 59,000 registered Democrats are eligible to
      participate in Wyoming's caucuses.

      Only in the last few weeks have the campaigns stepped
      up their presence in Wyoming, opening offices and
      calling voters and sending mailers.

      Not including Wyoming delegates, which have not yet
      been allocated, Obama held the lead in delegates,
      1,571-1,463. But Clinton has the edge with
      superdelegates -- the party officials and elected
      leaders -- 242-210. A total of 2,025 delegates is
      needed to win the nomination.

      Although a win in Wyoming may not persuade many
      superdelegates, it will be one more prize for the
      candidates as they make their case for the nomination.

      Republicans held their caucuses in January, with
      former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney winning.