Huckabee: A Deadlocked Convention is My Goal

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2008
      http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=119078&article=3314257

      Huckabee: A Deadlocked Convention is My Goal

      Insurgent Republican giving up dream of winning in
      primaries
      By Jim Forsyth
      Friday, February 22, 2008

      In an interview with 1200 WOAI news during his swing
      through Texas, longshot Republican presidential
      candidate Mike Huckabee outlined a strategy which has
      him not winning the GOP nomination outright, but
      pushing the nomination to the September Republican
      National Convention, which he says will turn to him as
      the most ‘conservative alternative.’

      The ‘brokered convention’ plan is in stark contrast
      to Huckabee’s previous sunny predictions of a sweep to
      victory in the primaries and caucuses on the shoulders
      of adoring family values conservatives.

      Huckabee said his ‘brokered convention’ strategy is
      predicated on a victory in Texas, the country’s
      largest Republican state.

      “We think Texas is an important state,” Huckabee
      told me. “We know how important it is to win Texas.”

      Huckabee says with an upset win in Texas, and a win
      in the Ohio Republican primary the same day, Huckabee
      could deny front runner John McCain the nomination in
      the primaries.

      “If we win Texas, I think it changes the dynamics of
      this race. It could well go all the way to the
      convention. If the convention delegates pick the
      president, chances are they would pick the most
      conservative. I would be the one they would end up
      picking, if that’s the criteria.”

      Huckabee also called for more debates with McCain.

      "I think we ought to have debates. I think it's not
      Republcian and not American to shut off the debate and
      the process of the election."

      Despite the endorsement of McCain of Governor Rick
      Perry and both of the state’s Republican senators, a
      victory by Huckabee in the Texas Republican primary is
      a longshot, but is not out of the question. Social
      conservatives of the type who have flocked to the
      Huckabee candidacy control the levers of the Texas
      GOP, and have the ability to turn out large numbers of
      evangelical voters in early voting, and on primary
      day.

      “I’m like one of those tiny little basketball teams
      in the Final Four, and nobody thought they could get
      there,” Huckabee said. “I think its a credit to the
      commitment of those who have been supporting me.”

      He also compared the drive that keeps him going to
      the dream that the defenders of the Alamo fought for
      in 1836.

      "You don't engage in battles only because you
      anticipate you're going to win them," he said. "You
      engage in your battles because you believe that
      they're right."