Kenyans agree on joint government

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2008
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080208/ap_on_re_af/kenya_election_violence;_ylt=An64FaW9a3ZXwLjTcEB6oeis0NUE

      Kenyans agree on joint government

      By TOM ODULA, Associated Press Writer 5 minutes ago

      NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenya's ruling party and opposition
      have agreed to form a joint government in an effort to
      end the bloodshed that has engulfed the country since
      the disputed Dec. 27 presidential election, an
      opposition lawmaker said Friday.

      The two sides were still discussing who would lead the
      government and what roles each party would play.

      "We have finally agreed there is a problem in the
      country and neither side can proceed on its own," said
      William Rutto, a lawmaker from the opposition Orange
      Democractic Movement. "We have agreed to form a joint
      government. Details of that government, its time and
      how to share it are under discussions."

      There was no immediate comment from the government or
      President Mwai Kibaki's Party of National Unity. But
      former U.N. chief Kofi Annan, who is heading talks
      aimed at resolving the crisis, was expected to make a
      statement later Friday.

      Word of the power-sharing government came hours after
      Kibaki said he was "committed" to the negotiations.

      Speaking at a prayer meeting in Nairobi, Kibaki said
      he was "encouraged" by progress in talks and
      reiterated "my personal support and that of my entire
      government to this process."

      More than 1,000 people have been killed and 300,000
      driven from their homes in fighting that has often
      pitted many of the East African country's myriad
      ethnic groups against one another.

      International and domestic observers have heavily
      criticized the vote tallying process and the head of
      the electoral commission has publicly said he does not
      know who won the election.