Obama wins Georgia

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5 4:58 PM
      http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/05/super.main/index.html

      Obama wins Georgia's Democratic primary, CNN projects

      (CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama will win Georgia's
      Democratic primary, CNN projects, but the Republican
      race there is too close to call.

      Early results showed Obama with a 2-1 lead over rival
      Hillary Clinton in the first state to close its polls.

      CNN projections show a tight three-way race among
      Republicans John McCain, Mitt Romney and Mike
      Huckabee.

      As in South Carolina, African-American voters made up
      just over half the turnout in Georgia's Democratic
      primary -- and exit polls indicated that Obama took
      about 80 percent of that vote.

      And his nearly 40 percent showing among white voters
      was an improvement over South Carolina, where native
      son John Edwards was also in the mix.

      As polls begin to close, candidates were awaiting
      results from the 24 states holding primaries or
      caucuses today.

      Republican conservative voters appear to be evenly
      split between Romney and Huckabee, according to
      preliminary exit polls of Super Tuesday voters.

      Of those who voted for Huckabee or Romney, about 80
      percent identified themselves as conservative,
      according to the polls.

      Only 49 percent of McCain's voters said they were
      conservative, a sign that the Arizona senator's
      efforts over the last week to placate conservative
      voters has not paid off.

      On the Democratic side, early indications suggest it
      could be a long night, according to CNN senior
      political analyst Bill Schneider. Those who made up
      their mind in the last three days appear to be torn
      between Obama and Clinton.

      According to the exit polls, Obama and Clinton are
      essentially splitting those voters, with 47 percent
      going for Obama and 46 percent for Clinton.

      Huckabee scored the first Super Tuesday victory,
      winning all 18 delegates at stake in West Virginia --
      partially with the help of McCain's backers.

      "It gives us some real wind to our backs as we go into
      tonight," the former Arkansas governor said after
      casting his own ballot in Little Rock.

      Huckabee won with the support of 52 percent of the
      state's GOP convention delegates on the second round
      of balloting.

      Romney, the former governor of Massachusetts, came in
      second with 47 percent of the vote, and McCain was
      backed by 1 percent of the delegates.

      Romney was ahead in the first round of voting in
      Charleston but failed to get the majority needed to
      win.

      It appeared supporters of McCain, who placed a distant
      third on the first ballot, moved over to Huckabee,
      helping him carry the day.

      Romney's campaign was furious over the "Washington
      backroom deal."

      "Unfortunately, this is what Sen. McCain's inside
      Washington ways look like: He cut a backroom deal with
      the tax-and-spend candidate he thought could best stop
      Gov. Romney's campaign of conservative change," read a
      statement from Romney campaign manager Beth Myers.

      Huckabee chuckled at the remark.

      "I thought he was saying yesterday, 'No whining.' So
      is it no whining or whining? He can't even keep a
      straight answer on the 'whining or no whining'
      question," Huckabee said.

      "There was no backroom deal," he added. "There wasn't
      even a front room deal. There was no deal."

      Front-runners McCain and Romney have engaged in bitter
      exchanges over their conservative records in recent
      weeks. Video Watch how CNN analysts view the GOP race
      »

      "This is raw politics as it's really practiced," CNN
      senior political analyst Bill Schneider said. "The
      McCain supporters who were third in the first round
      decided to throw their weight behind Mike Huckabee in
      order to stop Mitt Romney from winning this
      convention. And look at that -- they did."

      With 24 states and American Samoa holding primaries or
      caucuses, Super Tuesday is virtually a national
      primary day and a pivotal day in the Democratic and
      Republican races for the White House.

      Some of the biggest prizes of the primary season --
      California, New York, Illinois, New Jersey, Missouri
      and Georgia -- are up for grabs.

      There will be complete results coverage all day and
      through the night on CNN TV and CNN.com.

      With no sitting president or vice president running
      for the first time in decades and wide-open races in
      both parties, a record number of voters has headed to
      the polls this primary season.

      On Tuesday, I-Reporter Christopher Penn, 32, told CNN
      he voted right after the polls opened in Framingham,
      Massachusetts. Penn said it was the first time he had
      voted in a primary.

      "It looks like it's going to be a good primary day.
      The only thing that's going to be tricky is the
      weather, which is not great, to be charitable. I would
      expect that would diminish turnout," Penn, an
      independent, said. "But there was quite a good line to
      get in there, so it looks like another good day for
      our republic."

      I-Reporter Dian Campbell, 55, told CNN she was
      determined to caucus for Romney, but first she had to
      find a way out of her snowed-in home outside Antonito,
      Colorado.

      "We've been on the phone to see if we can put together
      a snowmobile patrol to pick people up because the
      roads in most of the county are impassable," she said.

      "We thought we might have to ride horses to get
      places, because right now, we can't get anywhere."

      More than four-fifths of the 2,025 delegates needed to
      clinch the Democratic presidential nomination and more
      than 1,000 of the 1,191 necessary delegates on the
      Republican side are at stake. Video Watch Time
      journalists break down the Democratic race »

      Tuesday's results are more likely to decide the
      presumptive presidential nominee in the Republican
      contest than in the Democratic contest because of the
      way the GOP allocates delegates.

      Victors in the Republican primaries and caucuses
      usually enjoy a winner-take-all delegate system, while
      Democrats parcel out delegates on a proportional
      basis.

      On the Democratic side, the surviving contenders are
      likely to split the delegates evenly, Democratic
      analyst Peter Fenn said.

      "I think that Obama clearly has an advantage in those
      seven states that are doing caucuses," Fenn said. "I
      think she's got to carry the big states that she had
      planned on. California is clearly up for grabs now.
      ... Unless one or the other gets annihilated, I think
      they go on to many more Tuesdays." Video Watch
      analysts call Obama a rising force »

      Clinton cast her ballot in her home state of New York
      Tuesday morning. She was joined by her husband, former
      President Clinton, and her daughter, Chelsea. Video
      Watch Clinton outline her universal health care plan »

      Obama started his Super Tuesday on the opposite coast.
      During an interview with CNN from San Francisco,
      California, the Illinois Democrat promoted his health
      care plan, a key issue for California voters. He will
      end his day in his hometown, Chicago. Video Watch
      Obama tout his health care proposal »

      GOP presidential hopefuls Romney, McCain, and Huckabee
      will be scrambling for votes throughout the day.

      McCain started his day at a rally in New York. "I
      guarantee you, as the nominee of my party, I can and
      will carry the city of New York as well as the state
      of New York, because we know how to appeal to
      independents," he told supporters in Manhattan. Video
      Watch McCain in the streets of New York »

      Romney and Huckabee addressed the West Virginia
      Republican convention Tuesday before state delegates
      began voting. Video Watch Huckabee address the
      convention »

      Before the voting began, Romney told delegates that
      wins in California and other Super Tuesday states
      would put him in position to win his party's
      nomination.

      "It will indicate the conservative voices in our party
      are standing up and saying, 'Wait a second, we want to
      make sure that this party does not leave the house
      that [former President] Ronald Reagan built," Romney
      said in Charleston.

      Huckabee said the race should not be about who has the
      most money.

      "I'm almost tied in delegates with those who have
      spent 10, 15, 20 times what I have, and it kind of
      tells me something -- that maybe that it's time for
      the people to pick a president, not the national media
      and the pundits to pick our president for us," he said.