Clinton suggests tapping wages

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2008
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080203/ap_on_el_pr/campaign_rdp;_ylt=AtqkK9SjJHcM8CTMYEAwMbOs0NUE

      Clinton suggests tapping wages

      By CHARLES BABINGTON, Associated Press Writer 4
      minutes ago

      WASHINGTON - Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton said
      Sunday she might be willing to have workers' wages
      garnisheed if they refuse to buy health insurance to
      achieve coverage for all Americans.

      The New York senator has criticized presidential rival
      Barack Obama for pushing a health plan that would not
      require universal coverage. Clinton has not always
      specified the enforcement measures she would embrace,
      but when pressed during a television interview, she
      said: "I think there are a number of mechanisms" that
      are possible, including "going after people's wages,
      automatic enrollment."

      Clinton said such measures would apply only to workers
      who can afford health coverage but refuse to buy it,
      which puts undue pressure on hospitals and emergency
      rooms. Under her plan, she said, health care "will be
      affordable for everyone" because she would limit
      premium payments "to a low percent of your income."

      Clinton also suggested Obama would be more susceptible
      to Republican attack ads in a general election because
      he has not been scrutinized for years as she has.

      "I've been through the Republican attacks over and
      over again," she said on ABC's "This Week." When Obama
      was elected to the Senate from Illinois in 2004, she
      said, he "didn't face anyone who ran attack ads"
      comparable to those aimed at her.

      Obama countered, saying Republicans and independents
      would be more inclined to oppose Clinton than him in a
      general election.

      The problem is "not all of Senator Clinton's making,"
      he said, "but I don't think there's any doubt that the
      Republicans consider her a polarizing figure," he said
      on CBS' "Face the Nation."

      The presidential contenders in both parties focused
      their campaigning Sunday in some of the 24 states
      holding primaries or caucuses on Super Tuesday.

      Clinton was campaigning in Missouri and Minneapolis.
      Obama scheduled a rally in Wilmington, Del., while
      some of his highest-profile surrogates — his wife,
      Michelle, Oprah Winfrey and Caroline Kennedy — were
      rallying voters in Los Angeles.

      Among Republicans, Arizona Sen. John McCain was
      stumping in Connecticut, and former Massachusetts Gov.
      Mitt Romney scheduled stops in Glen Ellyn, Ill., and
      the St. Louis suburb of Maryland Heights. Former
      Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee was concentrating on the
      South, with appearances in Georgia and Tennessee.

      McCain told "Fox News Sunday" he would veto any tax
      increase passed by a Democratic-controlled Congress.
      McCain, who opposed President Bush's first two tax
      cuts, now says Congress should make the reductions
      permanent, and that there also should be further tax
      reductions for business investments.

      His chief rival, Romney, told the ABC program that
      McCain "doesn't understand the economy" and that his
      advocacy of a higher gasoline tax to combat global
      warming would hurt U.S. consumers.

      Romney repeated his claim that McCain is outside the
      conservative mainstream.

      "If we want a party that is indistinguishable from
      Hillary Clinton on an issue like illegal immigration,"
      Romney said, "we're going to have John McCain as a
      nominee. That's the wrong way to go. Instead, I
      believe that you're going to want to have somebody who
      can show a contrast on issues like campaign finance
      reform, like illegal immigration, like global
      warming."

      McCain, who also appeared on "Face the Nation," said
      he is "far more conservative" than Romney.

      Huckabee said it was time for Romney, who lost major
      contests in South Carolina and Florida to McCain, to
      drop out of the race.

      "I think it's time for Mitt Romney to step aside," the
      former governor, who has won only the Iowa caucuses,
      said on CNN. "If he wants to call it a two-man race,
      fine. But that makes it John McCain and me."

      (This version CORRECTS UPDATES with Obama, SUBS lede
      for clarification, corrects that Huckabee said Romney
      should drop out, sted Romney saying Huckabee should
      quit; UPDATES photos.)