Re: John Edwards to quit presidential race

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2008
      Prior to the start of the Iraq War many who were opposed to the
      invasion worried about the long-term effects on American foreign
      policy. Given that there was international outrage over the way the
      war was being sold to buttress the rationale for the preemptive
      strike, and given the complexities of the Middle East on a good day,
      many of us had legitimate concerns about the lasting impact of this
      policy.

      This theme has been a constant one on this blog, and must be
      addressed honestly by any true contender for the Presidency in 2008.
      So I was pleased this past year to hear former Senator John Edwards
      make it clear that our moral leadership is a necessity if
      civilization itself is not to unravel. Without hesitation, he stated
      that though there are many domestic issues that need the attention of
      the next President, the overriding responsibility would be to
      restore our leadership to the world. He is correct with this view.

      Edwards understands in the way that John Kerry never could that world
      events like the horror in Darfur demands the leadership of America.
      Kerry failed to challenge President Bush in 2004 over a more pro-
      active stance in Darfur to counter balance in the eyes of the world
      with what we were doing in Iraq. When Kerry failed to even campaign
      on the idea of moral leadership around the globe, I lost the last
      shreds of hope for his campaign.

      In contrast, Edwards knew that we can't stand in the eyes of the
      world seeking a leadership role if we allow genocide to take place in
      Darfur. We can't expect to be seen as credible when we speak to
      other nations seeking their involvement on various trouble spots, if
      we do not lead and act on the major issues confronting the world.

      While there are many domestic needs in America for the next President
      to deal with, we must not nominate a candidate who says it is time to
      shy away from our role in international affairs. Instead we must
      have a new President that is as determined to lead with moral
      leadership around the globe, as Bush was determined to lead with
      guile.

      I am very sorry that John Edwards will no longer be a part of the
      race for the White House. He had a real moral center to his campaign
      that was refreshing and sincere. His willingness to confront the
      issues with honesty and punch made him more than a footnote in this
      race.

      Thanks John for a well fought race on the issues that matter to
      America.

      Gregory

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@...>