John Edwards to quit presidential race

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2008
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080130/ap_on_el_pr/edwards

      John Edwards to quit presidential race

      By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer 12 minutes
      ago

      DENVER - Democrat John Edwards is exiting the
      presidential race Wednesday, ending a scrappy underdog
      bid in which he steered his rivals toward progressive
      ideals while grappling with family hardship that
      roused voters' sympathies but never diverted his
      campaign, The Associated Press has learned.

      The two-time White House candidate notified a close
      circle of senior advisers that he planned to make the
      announcement at a 1 p.m. EST event in New Orleans that
      had been billed as a speech on poverty, according to
      two of his advisers. The decision came after Edwards
      lost the four states to hold nominating contests so
      far to rivals who stole the spotlight from the
      beginning — Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama.

      The former North Carolina senator will not immediately
      endorse either candidate in what is now a two-person
      race for the Democratic nomination, said one adviser,
      who spoke on a condition of anonymity in advance of
      the announcement.

      Edwards waged a spirited top-tier campaign against the
      two better-funded rivals, even as he dealt with the
      stunning blow of his wife's recurring cancer
      diagnosis. In a dramatic news conference last March,
      the couple announced that the breast cancer that she
      thought she had beaten had returned, but they would
      continue the campaign.

      Their decision sparked a debate about family duty and
      public service. But Elizabeth Edwards remained a
      forceful advocate for her husband, and she was often
      surrounded at campaign events by well-wishers and
      emotional survivors cheering her on.

      Edwards planned to announce his campaign was ending
      with his wife and three children at his side. Then he
      planned to work with Habitat for Humanity at the
      volunteer-fueled rebuilding project Musicians'
      Village, the adviser said.

      With that, Edwards' campaign will end the way it began
      13 months ago — with the candidate pitching in to
      rebuild lives in a city still ravaged by Hurricane
      Katrina. Edwards embraced New Orleans as a glaring
      symbol of what he described as a Washington that
      didn't hear the cries of the downtrodden.

      Edwards burst out of the starting gate with a flurry
      of progressive policy ideas — he was the first to
      offer a plan for universal health care, the first to
      call on Congress to pull funding for the war, and he
      led the charge that lobbyists have too much power in
      Washington and need to be reigned in.

      The ideas were all bold and new for Edwards personally
      as well, making him a different candidate than the
      moderate Southerner who ran in 2004 while still in his
      first Senate term. But the themes were eventually
      adopted by other Democratic presidential candidates —
      and even a Republican, Mitt Romney, echoed the call
      for an end to special interest politics in Washington.

      Edwards' rise to prominence in politics came amid just
      one term representing North Carolina in the Senate
      after a career as a trial attorney that made him
      millions. He was on Al Gore's short list for vice
      president in 2000 after serving just two years in
      office. He ran for president in 2004, and after he
      lost to John Kerry, the nominee picked him as a
      running mate.

      Elizabeth Edwards first discovered a lump in her
      breast in the final days of that losing campaign. Her
      battle against the disease caused her husband to open
      up about another tragedy in their lives — the death of
      their teenage son Wade in a 1996 car accident. The
      candidate barely spoke of Wade during his 2004
      campaign, but he offered his son's death to answer
      questions about how he could persevere when his wife
      could die.

      Edwards made poverty the signature issue of both his
      presidential campaigns, and he led a four-day tour to
      highlight the issue in July. The tour, the first to
      focus on the plight of the poor since Robert F.
      Kennedy's trip 40 years earlier, also was an effort to
      remind voters that a rich man can care about the less
      fortunate. It came as Edwards was dogged by negative
      coverage of his personal wealth, including his
      construction of a 28,000-square foot house, his work
      for a hedge fund that advised the superrich and $400
      haircuts.

      But even through the dark days of summer and as Obama
      and Clinton collected astonishing amounts of money
      that dwarfed his fundraising effort, Edwards
      maintained a loyal following in the first voting state
      of Iowa that made him a serious contender. He came in
      second to Obama in Iowa, an impressive feat of
      relegating Clinton to third place, before coming in
      third in the following three contests.

      The loss in South Carolina was especially hard because
      it was where he was born and he had won the state in
      2004. But Edwards performed well enough to pick up 58 delegates.
    • Gregory
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 30, 2008
        Prior to the start of the Iraq War many who were opposed to the
        invasion worried about the long-term effects on American foreign
        policy. Given that there was international outrage over the way the
        war was being sold to buttress the rationale for the preemptive
        strike, and given the complexities of the Middle East on a good day,
        many of us had legitimate concerns about the lasting impact of this
        policy.

        This theme has been a constant one on this blog, and must be
        addressed honestly by any true contender for the Presidency in 2008.
        So I was pleased this past year to hear former Senator John Edwards
        make it clear that our moral leadership is a necessity if
        civilization itself is not to unravel. Without hesitation, he stated
        that though there are many domestic issues that need the attention of
        the next President, the overriding responsibility would be to
        restore our leadership to the world. He is correct with this view.

        Edwards understands in the way that John Kerry never could that world
        events like the horror in Darfur demands the leadership of America.
        Kerry failed to challenge President Bush in 2004 over a more pro-
        active stance in Darfur to counter balance in the eyes of the world
        with what we were doing in Iraq. When Kerry failed to even campaign
        on the idea of moral leadership around the globe, I lost the last
        shreds of hope for his campaign.

        In contrast, Edwards knew that we can't stand in the eyes of the
        world seeking a leadership role if we allow genocide to take place in
        Darfur. We can't expect to be seen as credible when we speak to
        other nations seeking their involvement on various trouble spots, if
        we do not lead and act on the major issues confronting the world.

        While there are many domestic needs in America for the next President
        to deal with, we must not nominate a candidate who says it is time to
        shy away from our role in international affairs. Instead we must
        have a new President that is as determined to lead with moral
        leadership around the globe, as Bush was determined to lead with
        guile.

        I am very sorry that John Edwards will no longer be a part of the
        race for the White House. He had a real moral center to his campaign
        that was refreshing and sincere. His willingness to confront the
        issues with honesty and punch made him more than a footnote in this
        race.

        Thanks John for a well fought race on the issues that matter to
        America.

        Gregory

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@...>