Fred Thompson quits presidential race

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2008
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080122/ap_on_el_pr/thompson;_ylt=AoUfL9HfN4.Oe10beJG6Zxys0NUE

      Fred Thompson quits presidential race
      13 minutes ago

      NAPLES, Fla. - Former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson
      quit the Republican presidential race on Tuesday,
      after a string of poor finishes in early primary and
      caucus states.

      "Today, I have withdrawn my candidacy for president of
      the United States. I hope that my country and my party
      have benefited from our having made this effort,"
      Thompson said in a statement.

      Thompson's fate was sealed last Saturday in the South
      Carolina primary, when he finished third in a state
      that he had said he needed to win.

      In the statement, Thompson did not say whether he
      would endorse any of his former rivals. He was one of
      a handful of members of Congress who supported Arizona
      Sen. John McCain in 2000 in his unsuccessful race
      against George W. Bush for the party nomination.