Confederate flag ad praises Huckabee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2008
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080118/ap_on_el_pr/confederate_flag_ad;_ylt=AumodT7uV.sW7K_jHBuNb9oGw_IE

      Confederate flag ad praises Huckabee
      By JIM KUHNHENN, Associated Press Writer
      24 minutes ago

      WASHINGTON - A group that promotes protection of the
      Confederate flag is airing radio ads during
      conservative talk shows in South Carolina that praise
      Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee and
      criticize John McCain and Mitt Romney for voicing
      objections to the flag.

      The ads are paid for by Americans for the Preservation
      of American Culture, a Tennessee-based political
      organization that has been in existence since 2001,
      according to Federal Election Commission records. The
      ads began airing just three days before Saturday's
      Republican primary in the state.

      "Waving a confederate battle flag in front of
      Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney turns out to be
      like waving a red flag in front of a bull — he
      charges," the ad states. "Romney let fly in the CNN
      debate, saying, "That flag shouldn't be shown,' and
      'that's not a flag I recognize.'"

      In its anti-McCain ad, an announcer states: "Mitt
      Romney is trying, but when it comes to bashing the
      Confederate flag he can't hold a candle to John
      McCain. McCain's been doing it — calling the flag a
      racist symbol — for years."

      Both minute-long spots go on to applaud Huckabee, a
      former Arkansas governor, saying he is more in tune
      with Southern values.

      "Governor Huckabee understands that all the average
      guy with a Confederate flag on his pickup truck is
      saying is he's proud to be a Southerner," the ad
      states. "Mike Huckabee understands we value our
      heritage and why."

      The flag, long seen as a symbol of racism by some and
      as an emblem of Southern pride by others, once flew
      atop the Capitol in South Carolina. A 2000 compromise
      removed it from the dome, though it remains on the
      Statehouse grounds and flies next to a Confederate
      soldier memorial.

      Campaigning in South Carolina on Thursday, Huckabee
      said the government should stay out of disputes over
      the Confederate flag.

      "You don't like people from outside the state coming
      in and telling you what to do with your flag,"
      Huckabee told supporters in Myrtle Beach, S.C. "In
      fact, if somebody came to Arkansas and told us what to
      do with our flag, we'd tell 'em what to do with the
      pole, that's what we'd do."

      Americans for the Preservation of American Culture is
      the third group spending money in South Carolina
      either in support of Huckabee or against his rivals.
      Vietnam Veterans Against McCain distributed a leaflet
      that accused McCain of collaborating with the
      Vietnamese during his years as a prisoner of war.
      Common Sense Issues, a group financed by Huckabee
      supporters, was placing automated, interactive phone
      calls that praised Huckabee and were critical of his
      rivals.

      McCain responded in a Web ad, using praise from
      Huckabee himself: "Senator McCain, no matter what
      anyone may say, is a genuine conservative," and "John
      McCain is a hero in this country. He's a hero to me."

      "If you want the truth about John McCain," the ad
      states, "just ask Mike Huckabee."