Reyes, Hoekstra 'stunned' by DOJ blockage of CIA video probe

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2007
      http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/1207/Reyes_Hoekstra_stunned_by_refusal_of_CIA_interrogation_tape_info.html

      December 14, 2007
      Read More: Michael Mukasey

      Reyes, Hoekstra 'stunned' by DOJ blockage of CIA video
      probe

      Reps. Silvestre Reyes (D-Texas) and Pete Hoekstra
      (R-Mich.), the chairman and ranking member of the
      House Intelligence Committee, have released the
      following statement after being informed that the
      Justice Department has ordered the CIA not to
      cooperate with the panel's investigation into the
      destruction of interrogation videos of captured al
      Qaeda terrorists:

      “Just two days ago, CIA Director Michael Hayden
      appeared before our Committee to address the CIA’s
      destruction of videotapes. In that hearing, he
      committed to providing materials relevant to our
      investigation. Earlier today, our staff was notified
      that the Department of Justice has advised CIA not
      cooperate with our investigation.

      “We are stunned that the Justice Department would move
      to block our investigation. Parallel investigations
      occur all of the time, and there is no basis upon
      which the Attorney General can stand in the way of our
      work.

      “We strongly urge General Hayden to comply with our
      Committee’s bipartisan request to produce documents
      and to make available John Rizzo and Jose Rodriguez
      for testimony next week. We will use all the tools
      available to Congress, including subpoenas, to obtain
      this information and this testimony.

      “It’s clear that there’s more to this story than we
      have been told, and it is unfortunate that we are
      being prevented from learning the facts. The Executive
      Branch can’t be trusted to oversee itself. Congress
      must conduct its own investigation.”

      By John Bresnahan
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 14, 2007
        I had hoped that Mukasey was better than just another shill for the White House.....BTW I just read an old Texas Monthly quoting Alberto Gonzales saying that Washington and Lincoln used electronic surveillance to a far greater extent than Bush????? Where do they get these guys?

        Tom